SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 29-01-17, 12:11 PM   #2681
yokohama

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

I'm taking a chance on Rocky too. A Yashica electro 35 and a Chinon 50mm f1.7 PK for £23.50 the both. Let's see.
As Johnny said before, even if they are duff, it's likely they can be resold on ebay without too much loss.
Thanks for mentioning the Boots offer Kenzie. I've ordered a couple of rolls each of HP5 and XP2.
I've worked out the Balda now. There's a coupled lightmeter on top for setting the aperture though it doesn't display in the viewfinder, which is a shame. I don't know whether that's normal or not.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-17, 12:21 PM   #2682
Kenzie

Well I got an email back saying he is on holiday until the 11th Feb but they are on skeleton staff. Will wait and see. Want to use it on the Nikon. I got ten shots out of the roll of HP5 which is ok, better than the eight I would got shooting a 6x9 camera. Did some more work trying to fix the Canon Dial, just need to get the front off to reattached the lens and then put it all back together. Got a couple of bids in for Kodak Duo 620 folders, don't come up very often. There was one in a charity shop but I regret not picking it up.
Just browsing some charity shops online, one of them is trying to sell a Kodak Box Brownie No.2 for £60. I doubt they will ever sell it.

Last edited by Kenzie; 29-01-17 at 02:17 PM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-17, 08:10 PM   #2683
yokohama

I got the same email from Rocky earlier today. So he has staff? I hope the stuff is OK but I'll check my credit card small print carefully just in case.
Old 29-01-17, 08:28 PM   #2684
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Sounds like BS to me, probably means he's doing something else and he's either got someone fulfilling orders (hopefully) or he's not getting stuff done very quickly.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-17, 08:32 PM   #2685
yokohama

To be fair Johnny, he does say on the site homepage that he's away for 2 weeks on annual holiday but that he's still open for business. Guess it depends on how that's interpreted.
Old 29-01-17, 08:39 PM   #2686
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

It was the skeleton staff bit. My old boss was a master of taking a given situation, dressing it up and making it sound like it had been his plan. We happened to land a contract at a good price just before the last recession, so he told the engineering dept we were focusing on making more profitable sales to counteract the loss of volume. Really, we were just lucky with that one!
Old 29-01-17, 08:45 PM   #2687
Kenzie

Will have to wait and see. The other lens I ordered from him arrived ok. Yoko, did you manage to get out and shoot in the end? The Canon T50 on the table in front of me is looking neglected. Not that you should personify a camera. I've lost one of my little Minolta 16s, it's so small I can't spot it! Bugging me. Also, a couple of Kodak 620 Duo folders have appeared on the bay.
Old 29-01-17, 09:05 PM   #2688
yokohama

I didn't get out today. Unwisely decided to stay in and watch Leeds progress in the FA cup
But ... I'm definitely going out to Wakefield on Wednesday. Have a trip planned to the National Coal Mining Museum and then on to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Have to decide what cameras to take. Not allowed to take anything electrical down t'pit so no phones, watches, cameras etc. I wonder if I could get away with a mechanical camera.
Old 29-01-17, 09:13 PM   #2689
Kenzie

Yeah, don't want to read in the news "visitor blows up pit with camera".
Old 29-01-17, 09:38 PM   #2690
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

A mechanical camera would be fine I think, you can always ring ahead to check. When working in hazardous areas, it's not uncommon to use clockwork stopwatches or clocks because they have no batteries.