SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-07-23, 09:34 AM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Stone circles/megaliths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I might have mentioned this before but the stone circle at Mitchell's Fold is one of the spookiest places I've ever been. I've no idea why but to me, there's an dark vibe about it which I found really unsettling, in a way that I've never felt at any other ancient site such as the Rollright Stones or the old Iron Age forts in Northumberland.
That's really interesting that you find Mitchell's Fold to be that way Craig. I have the opposite feeling about the place, and indeed, about the whole stone circle and Stapeley Hill and Stapeley common area. It's always had a sense of calm and huge antiquity for me, maybe more so than any other stone circle or megalithic monument I know.

There's another stone circle called the Hoarstones just north-east of Mitchells's Fold, which I haven't yet got around to visiting, but it's on my list.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-23, 10:12 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stone circles/megaliths

It might have been the weather when we visited - it was a grey, moody day with a threat of rain, and the surrounding hills looked bleak and foreboding .... but both me and my wife commented on it. Who knows? Perhaps a reflection of our mood at the time? The mind does like to embellish things

But it is interesting being up there, as when you look around, you realise that the view hasn't really changed for centuries.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-23, 05:33 PM   #3
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I'll be up there in October as Lady Poppy, who loves visiting ancient sites like this, has been reading about a stone that's apart from the others she has never visited before. Even though she is from Shropshire and has been there countless times.

It's been years since I've been there so will report back.
Old 27-07-23, 07:08 PM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I'll be up there in October as Lady Poppy, who loves visiting ancient sites like this, has been reading about a stone that's apart from the others she has never visited before. Even though she is from Shropshire and has been there countless times.

It's been years since I've been there so will report back.
I know which stone she's thinking of Trevor. It stands like an alter stone a little way from the main circle.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote