SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-01-24, 08:19 PM   #11
Kenzie

Default Re: Cancer...

Good advice. I think Surgeries offer a health MOT at 40 anyway

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-24, 08:29 PM   #12
Seeker
Mega Poster

I hope your treatment is successful, Bibio, with no side effects.

My PSA is high, currently at 8.6 ( < 3 is target) but it's drifted up (to 10.1) and down (to 7.9) over the last 3 years. I asked about this and was told: "it just shows how unreliable the PSA test is". My urologist really needs to work on his bedside manner. He was correct though, the PSA test gives false positives and false negatives, it's a poor test - but the only common test we have.

I asked my urologist (different one) about this one:
https://www.uea.ac.uk/about/news/art...-cent-accuracy
but (worryingly) he hadn't heard about it (and yet I have?)

From what I've read, most men will develop prostate cancer but most of the cancer types are so slow growing you'll die of something else before the cancer becomes an issue. Not sure if that counts as good news or not.

I had a PSA test because I was told to but at the time I had no idea what the prostate actually did (it produces a liquid to mix with sperm to make semen if you didn't know).
Old 24-01-24, 08:52 AM   #13
redtrummy

You have to be given permission tohave one at our surgery from a Doctor. Difficult to get to speak to at the best of times. Not good enough.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-24, 06:58 PM   #14
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Some surgeries will test if you ask, others you have to nag and insist. I had to speak to a "member of the medical team" to get my last PSA test approved and got very annoyed when he tried to fob me off - pretty sure he was a paramedic and not a doctor. He agreed eventually as he thought I was overly worried... Too right. Next time I will just say my symptoms have worsened.

Don't take no for an answer. The NHS 40 year old MoT probably does not pay for the PSA check so ask for it separately. Any doctor who says no need to worry until you're an OAP is clearly trying to save on pathology tests and cannot be fully trusted.
Old 25-01-24, 10:52 AM   #15
Bibio
Mega Poster

had a talk with the urology doc yesterday and it was decided that due to my heart, surgery is the last option. so i have an appointment with oncology on the 31st to discuss chemical treatment but it was mentioned that its a high possibility of "seed" implants.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-24, 11:22 AM   #16
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
it was mentioned that its a high possibility of "seed" implants.

If Spiderman got his powers through being bitten by a radioactive spider, what powers will you get by having radioactive seeds up your bum?

I suppose if your bum glows in the dark you won't need to turn the light on for a nighttime bathroom visit.

Joking aside, I hope the treatment is successful Bibio.
Old 25-01-24, 11:31 AM   #17
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
had a talk with the urology doc yesterday and it was decided that due to my heart, surgery is the last option. so i have an appointment with oncology on the 31st to discuss chemical treatment but it was mentioned that its a high possibility of "seed" implants.
That's supposed to be a very effective treatment, with fewer and less severe side-effects than either surgery or chemotherapy. Best of luck, sir.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostat...-brachytherapy
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-24, 12:35 PM   #18
redtrummy

Yes it was that that sorted out one acquaintances problem. If given a choice think I would give that ago. Tons of ytube vids but this series seems very informative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryR6ieRoVFg hope all works out well Bibio
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-24, 04:48 PM   #19
embee
Mega Poster

Just to add to the age note. My neighbour's son is in his mid/late forties and went to a "prostate night" at a local pub, not sure who organised it. I think they just took PSA tests, don't think it was a DRE at the bar affair.
Anyway, he was called for further tests and has had surgery to deal with the issue, so it can happen at a relatively young age.
Old 26-01-24, 06:29 PM   #20
Ruffy

Sorry to hear about the situation Bibio. No-one needs that sort of worry.

Truth be told, I probably ought to get a test. (I flipped over to the wrong side of 50 during Covid times and haven't wanted to try to engage with the 'health system' since.)

Last edited by Ruffy; 26-01-24 at 06:29 PM. Reason: White space removal
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote