SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-11-10, 11:13 PM   #1
bengodden

Default Clutch drag.

Hi, I have a promblem with my clutch on my 1999 sv 650s

It seems to not disengage properly when i come to a stop and either carrys me forward or stalls. it changes gear smoothly, has no slip and it seems to happen more when its warm. ive triend adjusting the cable both ends and the biting point is pretty much in the middle of the travel of the lever. The problem only seems to be when i come to a stop. when i pull away i dont get any more movement until the clutch bites at the half way point of full lever release, so its only pulling on tickover. Its confusing the hell out of me. help?!
Old 03-11-10, 01:02 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch!

We may have been here before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me!
Slacken off cable adjusters at top and bottom, loosen lifter locknut, back out screw a bit, ensure that lifter arm is as far down as it will go, gently turn screw in until it contacts pushrod, then back it out a bit, (~1/8th of a turn), then nip up the locknut, roughly adjust cable with lower adjuster - not too tight - then with top adjuster ensure that there remains a little slack all the way from lock to lock.
Wiggling the cable adjusters does just that, adjusts the cable, the lifter needs to be set correctly or the cable won't do a thing
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 10:05 AM   #3
Geodude
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch drag.

I had same problem and followed Sid Squids instructions and it worked for me.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 11:12 AM   #4
bengodden

cheers, all fixed. some bell end put the two adjuster nuts on the same side. I checked on the internet coz i didnt think it was right so i swapped one over and did what you said and it seems to work a treat. thanks
Old 08-01-11, 12:21 AM   #5
bengodden

hi, last time i posted i said that my clutch was all fixed. it was until about a day afterwards. The damn thing kept pulling forward when i came to a stop in gear with the clutch in. I took it to the mechanic (which i just so happen to know well). we stripped i together and found that the clutch plates where buckled. so if all else fails, it might be that.