SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 29-03-09, 08:21 AM   #1
New Leaf

Default Track Day with square tyres

I'm thinking about doing a track day tomorrow, but my tyres are a bit square. I can't say it has bothered me too much on the road, so do u think it would be okay to do a trackday on them.

They are pilot roads, and have done 6,000 miles - most of them on the motorway - hence squaring them off. I would replace them at the track, but i guess the guy there will only sell super sticky stuff, and i don't really want track tyres for the road. I was going to get a pair of Pilot Road 2s in the next few months or so. Whats the chances of the tyre man at the track selling road tyres like that?
Old 29-03-09, 08:40 AM   #2
Leopard_lily

Default Re: Track Day with square tyres

I would be concerned using tyres that had done that amount of mileage for any riding let alone a track day, what is the tread like?
Old 29-03-09, 09:26 AM   #3
New Leaf

tread is fine - got about 3mm left.

Last edited by fizzwheel; 29-03-09 at 09:38 AM.
Old 29-03-09, 09:54 AM   #4
paiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Leaf View Post
I'm thinking about doing a track day tomorrow, but my tyres are a bit square. I can't say it has bothered me too much on the road, so do u think it would be okay to do a trackday on them.

They are pilot roads, and have done 6,000 miles - most of them on the motorway - hence squaring them off. I would replace them at the track, but i guess the guy there will only sell super sticky stuff, and i don't really want track tyres for the road. I was going to get a pair of Pilot Road 2s in the next few months or so. Whats the chances of the tyre man at the track selling road tyres like that?
Where abouts are you doing the track day? I'm going to Cadwell with a few friends tomorrow.
Would have thought the tyres would have been ok, but might be a bit unnerving tipping in to the corners as the tyre leans over the squaring. if that makes any sense?
Old 29-03-09, 09:54 AM   #5
John 675

Those are hard wearing I'd say you'd be fine might get a bit of a falling feeling as you crank over but that's about it. I'd do it
Old 29-03-09, 10:04 AM   #6
New Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste1 View Post
Where abouts are you doing the track day? I'm going to Cadwell with a few friends tomorrow.
Would have thought the tyres would have been ok, but might be a bit unnerving tipping in to the corners as the tyre leans over the squaring. if that makes any sense?
It'll be snetterton if i go - just up the road from me.

I forgot to add that i'll be pootling around at the back of novice group so tyres won't be as much of an issue as it would be to some. Plus i doubt i'll get leaned over as far as it goes on the side stand - lol.
Old 29-03-09, 10:09 AM   #7
mister c
Mega Poster

Good luck
It will make the handling of the bike feel very strange indeed. End of the day as long as you enjoy it then it doesn't matter
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-09, 10:45 AM   #8
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard_lily View Post
I would be concerned using tyres that had done that amount of mileage for any riding let alone a track day, what is the tread like?
All depends on the tyre. Pilot Road 2s have quite deep tread and you can get silly mileages out of them. I had a set on my Daytona 955i, and as some here will tell you, I don't ride slow -The rear lasted 8000 miles.

When I had my GSXR1000 I did a trackday at Donington on a partially knackered BT010. It didn't bother me because the bike spent most of it's time on the sides of the tyre where there was more tread. It was completely knackered by the time I'd ridden home, but it wasn't squared off any more.
Old 29-03-09, 11:00 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Go for it, it will get the profile back to proper shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard_lily View Post
Loads of tyres last for more than 6k. My current set of storms are still legal (just) at 7500 miles, and still have sufficient grip to lean as far as stock footpegs would allow under lots of power and generally ride like a nutter.
Old 29-03-09, 12:26 PM   #10
Berlin

+1
They'll be a lot less square at the end of the day.