SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-08-06, 08:44 PM   #1
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Bikesure Insurance Get It Right!

Bikesure will now let you ride a mate's bike with fully comp insurance cover for free

BUT..............it's only available to customers over the age of 30 who already have a bike over 575cc insured fully comp.

You don't even need to tell Bikesure before you ride the bike, just make sure you have the owners permission.

Knowing insurance companies I'd suggest a letter from your mate signed with his blood!

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-06, 09:05 PM   #2
21QUEST
Mega Poster

What's wrong with 'You Break it , You fix it'

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 07:57 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST

Cheers
Ben
Problem is when Mr Plod gets involved, or you have a serious off with personal injury claims etc. Proper insurance has to be the only way. I even turned down a test ride on the Bros gixxer the other day as I would need to inform my insurers before hand to make sure my cover allowed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebike policy wording
2.1 Your liability to third parties

We will insure you in respect of all legally liable sums, with our written consent, in respect of death or bodily injury to any Third Party, or any amount not exceeding £20,000,000 in respect of damage to Third Party property, as a result of an accident caused by

1. Your Motorcycle.
2. Any trailer while it is being towed by your motorcycle
3. Any other motorcycle ridden by you in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man which does not belong to you or is not hired to you under a hire purchase agreement, provided that your Certificate of Motor Insurance indicates that you can ride such a vehicle

In respect of Terrorism, where We are obliged by the Road Traffic Acts to provide insurance, the maximum amount We will pay for damage to property as a result of an accident or accidents caused by Your Motorcycle or motorcycles ridden or used by You or any other person and for which cover is provided under this section will be the amount required to meet the minimum insurance requirements of the Road Traffic Acts.

We will also pay any expenses for which you have Our written authority to claim.
2.2 Liability of other persons riding or using your motorcycle

On the same basis that we insure You under this section, We will also insure the following persons:

* Any person You give permission to ride Your Motorcycle provided that Your Certificate of Motor Insurance allows that person to ride
* Any person You give permission to use (but not ride) Your Motorcycle provided that your Certificate of Motor Insurance allows such use.
* Any passenger on Your Motorcycle, travelling or getting into or out of your sidecar.
I read the above to mean that either the bike I wish to ride or the rider I wish to allow must be identified on the certificate, this is how e-bike work in their multi bike, multi-rider policy
Old 03-08-06, 09:17 AM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST

Cheers
Ben
Problem is when Mr Plod gets involved, or you have a serious off with personal injury claims etc. Proper insurance has to be the only way. I even turned down a test ride on the Bros gixxer the other day as I would need to inform my insurers before hand to make sure my cover allowed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebike policy wording
2.1 Your liability to third parties

We will insure you in respect of all legally liable sums, with our written consent, in respect of death or bodily injury to any Third Party, or any amount not exceeding £20,000,000 in respect of damage to Third Party property, as a result of an accident caused by

1. Your Motorcycle.
2. Any trailer while it is being towed by your motorcycle
3. Any other motorcycle ridden by you in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man which does not belong to you or is not hired to you under a hire purchase agreement, provided that your Certificate of Motor Insurance indicates that you can ride such a vehicle

In respect of Terrorism, where We are obliged by the Road Traffic Acts to provide insurance, the maximum amount We will pay for damage to property as a result of an accident or accidents caused by Your Motorcycle or motorcycles ridden or used by You or any other person and for which cover is provided under this section will be the amount required to meet the minimum insurance requirements of the Road Traffic Acts.

We will also pay any expenses for which you have Our written authority to claim.
2.2 Liability of other persons riding or using your motorcycle

On the same basis that we insure You under this section, We will also insure the following persons:

* Any person You give permission to ride Your Motorcycle provided that Your Certificate of Motor Insurance allows that person to ride
* Any person You give permission to use (but not ride) Your Motorcycle provided that your Certificate of Motor Insurance allows such use.
* Any passenger on Your Motorcycle, travelling or getting into or out of your sidecar.
I read the above to mean that either the bike I wish to ride or the rider I wish to allow must be identified on the certificate, this is how e-bike work in their multi bike, multi-rider policy

Tim , my point point(slightly tonque in cheek) was with regards to a friend fixing the damage a vehicle they have borrowed as their policy provided it allow them to ride other vehicles would usually/normally only cover third party losses.

Hmm... I see what you mean with an Ebike policy. It does indeed look a bit strange to me in that even if a friend is covered(usually third party) by their policy to ride any vehicle , you still have to inform Ebike

Unless of course , that just means that your vehicle is comprehensively covered. That then would make sense as it's no different from having a named driver on a policy from the off. All that is happenning is you are temporally putting a named driver onto an ongoing policy.
I'm allowed to ride other bikes provided I add the registration prior to riding it. That is straight forward enough even though a pain.

You highlight a point which if indeed is what Ebike are saying ,a lot of people me inluded are probably not aware of .

I would hope it means to retain your full comprehensive cover you have to inform them.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 10:15 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

I have had this discussion with a few companies. For the policies I have (TPFT) I am covered to ride anyone's bike at any time provided I have their consent. If I am in an accident I have my Third Party insurance (TPO) on that bike so If I hit a car they could claim off me, but my insurance company would not cover the dammage to my mate's bike.

Not being a "Fully comp" kind of person (Young male, south london, quick bike etc) I imagine it becomes more complex than that as the distinction has to be made if your insurance company would be expected to pay out for you crashing your mate's bike.

In short, as Andrew points out "You bend it, you mend it" Works very well.

None the less Tim makes a good point, if in doubt you should ALWAYS check with your insurer that you are covered to ride another bike and what conditions are in effect.

:Edit: My renewal's up this week, ebike currently want 3 times more than the leading quote