SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-02-11, 11:34 AM   #1
musne

Default Fitting in a lighter socket, need some advice (and help I guess)

First of all, hi to you all! I bough an 07 SV650s 3 weeks ago and I'm loving it.

Anyway, as title says ^ I'm fitting in an external ligher socket, and I need some advice.

I'm going to presume that the wires connected to the lighter socket wont be so long as to stretch from the back of the bike (battery) all the way to the front where I will attach the lighter socket.

So, I want to know what kind of extension cables will be compatible to use (oh btw, it's a 12v lighter socket).

And finally, is it as simple as connecting the positive wire to the positive end of the battery and negative wire to the negative end of the battery?

P.s Yes, I know. N00b.
Old 23-02-11, 12:02 PM   #2
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fitting in a ligher socket, need some advice (and help I guess)

All the sockets i've bought in the past have not had any wires attached to them so you'll just need to get some wire and cut it to the length you need. And yes its pretty much just connect positive wire to positive terminal on the battery and neg to neg, don't forget to use the right size cable and a fuse inline on the positive size

If you put where you are in your profile then someone nearby may well offer to help you
Old 23-02-11, 12:06 PM   #3
musne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
All the sockets i've bought in the past have not had any wires attached to them so you'll just need to get some wire and cut it to the length you need. And yes its pretty much just connect positive wire to positive terminal on the battery and neg to neg, don't forget to use the right size cable and a fuse inline on the positive size

If you put where you are in your profile then someone nearby may well offer to help you
Great thanks, but how do I know what the right size cable is?

And fuse inline? what's that?? and do you mean positive side?

Btw, I'm in Uxbridge, London.
Old 23-02-11, 12:08 PM   #4
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by musne View Post
Great thanks, but how do I know what the right size cable is?

And fuse inline? what's that?? and do you mean positive side?
To complicate things a little, I would actually tap into a line that is off when the ignition is off and put a relay off that, hence switching the lighter socket OFF when the ignition is off - means you dont have to worry about draining your battery if you leave something plugged in.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-11, 12:21 PM   #5
musne

well this is the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product

So I would need a fuse inline to connect to the positive? I hope I can do it
Old 23-02-11, 12:24 PM   #6
Reckless Rat

Take a look at the kits available here for around a fiver:

http://www.towzatronics.co.uk/selffit.html

For very little extra they'll do what length wires, and what ever connectors you want.
I got one for the Sprint, the socket they do is a marine one, so is all plastic and won't rust (so don't use it for a fag lighter!), waterproof with a nice snug cover that's captive so you don't loose it.
Old 23-02-11, 12:25 PM   #7
beabert

Most importantly, protect the wire with a fuse.
Old 23-02-11, 01:13 PM   #8
musne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Rat View Post
Take a look at the kits available here for around a fiver:

http://www.towzatronics.co.uk/selffit.html

For very little extra they'll do what length wires, and what ever connectors you want.
I got one for the Sprint, the socket they do is a marine one, so is all plastic and won't rust (so don't use it for a fag lighter!), waterproof with a nice snug cover that's captive so you don't loose it.
Thanks for that, but I've already bought the lighter socket, would appreciate if someone can tell me where to get the inline fuse for it? plus what kind of wires to use?

are standard twin power cables compatible?
Old 23-02-11, 02:38 PM   #9
beabert

Default Re: Fitting in a lighter socket, need some advice (and help I guess)

Maplin for inline fuse and wire.

You need wire with a rating equal or higher than the weakest component. Look for the current rating, 10amp+ wiring with a 5/10 amp fuse in the holder should be fine, depends really on the max current of the cigarette socket component.

Just make sure the fuse is the weakest part of the circuit.

Last edited by beabert; 23-02-11 at 02:42 PM.
Old 23-02-11, 02:57 PM   #10
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fitting in a lighter socket, need some advice (and help I guess)

just to illustrate - inline fuse, positive (usually red) wire goes in one side, fuse goes in the middle and positive wire comes out the other end. If the circuit overloads or shorts for any reason, the fuse is the weak point and is designed to burn/break the circuit & thus prevent any further heating up of the wires (and potentially a fire)

maplins will be able to advise and they're not robbers like halfords

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote