SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: whats better?
iridium plugs 3 30.00%
platinum plugs 0 0%
oem plugs 7 70.00%
other 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-03, 07:20 PM   #1
weegaz22

Default spark plugs

whats better? iridium spark plugs, platinum plugs or oem plugs, or any others u prefer
Old 03-08-03, 08:49 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Performance wise it doesn't matter, the SV ignition system can't really take advantage of different plugs.
Platinum/Iridium/U groove plugs might make it easier to start in borderline conditions, but if your bike is properly maintained and running OK anyway, they're unlikely to make much difference. Save your money.

Sid
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-03, 11:22 AM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

I run a set of OEM plugs for 16K, with no troubles whatsoever. I have used all the fancy types in my car(s) and never seem to get the milage out of them, when at IRO £20 each, dont help matters.

The performance gain on a stock engine, does not balance the cost. Now, of you had a fully tuned engine..blah...blah...blah
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-03, 12:40 PM   #4
weegaz22

yes true but bike engines are in a slightly higher state of tune than most performance cars ie 1000cc gsx-r=152bhp how many 1liter cars do you know that have 152bhp? my 2.0 16v calibra had that, ok car engines are designed for more for torque than outright bhp+cars are a lot heavier so you arent really going to notice a bhp or 2, but you can see what im saying, someone on this board said they noticed that the platinum plugs helped throttle response and made their engine smoother, just wondered if anyone had tried iridium?
Old 04-08-03, 05:04 PM   #5
smgee

There is a mistaken assumption that a fancy spark plug will give a "better" spark and burn the mixture better and give more power, etc, etc, etc. This is not really the case.

Think about it. All a spark plug has to do is ignite the mixture, period. Once this has happened, it will have absolutely no impact on extent and the rate that the mixture burns. Unless you have a problem in the first place, like a dodgy mixture that is reluctant to ignite, a regular plug will set the mixture burning just as well as a fancy plug, thank you.

People may well report improvements such as "It seems smoother", etc. Well if you've just replaced some old worn-out plugs with some new ones, thats likely to be the case, but don't automatically attribute it to fancy plugs.

I will openly admit I am not an expert on this topic, but I have followed the car tuning world (and I don't mean Lax Power or any of that bollox!) and the writings of Dave Walker for some time. For those that don't know, Dave has tuned race engines for many years and has a bee in his bonnet about expensive plugs. I paraphrase him above. His company makes programmable ECUs for competition cars so I think he knows what he's on about.

Waste your money if you must!