SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 03-09-04, 11:43 PM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Metzeler Z6 Road Tec

Just had a set fitted this afternoon, done 150 miles on them feel really good, should last, but we'll see.

on standard pressures at the moment, but I'll have a play over the weekend and work out which pressure makes them work best.

watch this space.

Anyone else got them

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 12:41 PM   #2
wheelnut

Ive done about 2500 miles on a set, and they seem to be holding up well. A nice round profile and get sticky enough for me!

Let us know how you find them with your mega mileage.
Old 06-09-04, 12:59 PM   #3
svpilot

Yep, I've got 'em too on the guy at Sidcup Motor Cycle tyres (and wheelnut's) recomendation.

Done about 500 miles and I am well pleased, MUCH better that the Macadams I used to have.

Tread pattern on the rear looks a bit agricultural though.

As a side note, it's interesting that there is no 'tread' at the very centre of the rear tire. I often wonder how the law works regaring tread patterns

Anyway I like 'em.
Old 19-09-04, 09:37 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Now done 2,500 miles on these,
Comparisons, Bridgestone 010 f&r, Bridgestone 010/020, Avon Azaro 3's 45/46 & 49/50.

Fact,
1. haven't managed to make either slide yet.
2. after protracted pressure testing, they don't like lower pressures.
3. they turn in faster than the Bridgestone 010's, but are as stable.
4. not as "wiggly" as the Avon Azaros
5. wearing well, (should manage 7,000 or so out of the rear).

Feeling
1. lack feedback, from the front
2. can't get movement front the tyres (unlike the Avons).
3.no change in feel near the edge of grip (I can't push it as I can't tell when it would go).
4. tends to hold it's profile (like a bridgestone, but a bit faster).

Over all, I like them, but maybe not as much as the Avon Azaros.
they feel like a pair of sportier BT010's.confidence inspiring to the point I've taken them to (but can't feel the "back off" point ).

So far I'd rate them as a good alround sports tourer.
durable, as BT020's/Azaros,
Feel, less than the Avon's, more than the 020's, Miles ahead of the OEM Mez4's.

Would I get another pair?
If I couldn't get hold of a set of Azaros, then yes, I'd get then over a set of bridgestones.

I'll add to this thread as they wear out and let you know my thoughts.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 20-09-04, 10:49 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

I really like 'em too. Technically I stepped down from Sportecs at both ends to the Roadtecs, but they feel more stable than the Sportecs did, and inspire more confidence. I've had them slither a little on a really hard S-bend, where I know the Sportecs were good for another 5mph or thereabouts, but that's the only time they've not seemed as good.

I'd run them to the same point on the chiicken strips within 2 days as I'd taken the Sportecs over 3000 miles... Rictus points up a lack of front feedback, I think possibly this is actually giving me more confidence- the Sportecs could give a little too much, making the front end seem incredibly busy, while on the same roads at the same speed the Roadtecs seem much more solid and confidence-inspiring. Better for me, maybe not so good if you'd be pushing the tyres to their limits.

They're solid in the wet too, the rear is a little vague at times but slithery rather than slippery- they never feel like breaking away.

The tread pattern on the rear seems immense, I'd agree with that, similiar to the Conti Road Attacks, so hopefully that bodes well for high miles.

And they were cheaper than an 010/020 combination by a good £30, and they have Metzeler's chicken strip rulers on

Only the second tyres I've had on the SV, and technically the inferior ones, but I'm loving them.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 01:31 AM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Just a quick note, I wondered why I couldn't get these tyres to spin up, with out some seroius effort.

Burnt out and buckled clutch plates will do it everytime

All changed and sorted now.

Cheers Mark.
Old 18-10-04, 12:16 PM   #7
Daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpilot
it's interesting that there is no 'tread' at the very centre of the rear tire.
Apparently, this is why Metzeler say that the Roadtec Z6 rear tyre should only be used with the Roadtec Z6 front tyre.

I'm guessing that - in an upright position - the front tyre will disperse any standing water on the road, for the rear tyre.

I coud be wrong, but it sounds good
Old 13-11-04, 09:35 AM   #8
jonboy

Had another check of Rictus' tyres last night (no it's not a fetish!) and am astounded that he's done 6500 miles on them as the back's only just showing some wear and the front looks new. I can't believe that a modern tyre offering excellent performance will maybe even go to 10k miles for a hard rider (where normally 6k is tops).

Looks like these will pip the Conti Roadtecs for my next choice of tyre.

Old 14-11-04, 12:39 AM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

After 3000 my rear tyre is noticable worn, however it's worn quite uniformly so it doesn't look it- if you see what I mean. The tyre has such a massive tread when I fitted it, now it just has quite a big tread. I didn't measure the depth when I got it though so I have no idea how far through it I actually am, but I'm very impressed at how well matched the 2 compounds are, especially considering 4/5 of my riding is dual carriageway bashing...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-04, 12:34 AM   #10
diesel

i've done 6000 miles + on my roadtecs, they're still going strong as people have said already, they really inspire confidence as far as the technical stuff is concerned, im ahem, not ver teechnical at all really however, i know what feels good on my bike and ive really enjoyed these tyres...