SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-09-06, 08:11 PM   #1
Stingo

Default Keep your helmet on?

So, there I was, qeueing up to pay for my petrol at the local outlet when a bloke on a Duc 748 drives up and fills his tank. I've just been given my change by the nice lady when in strolls Duc man. She eyes him and gestures for him to remove his helmet - smugly, I think to myself "check me out - nice bike bloke - helmet off already". Duc man immediately gets a strop on "Ah Christ, this must be the only garage in Plymouth - everywhere else I just go in and pay - actually come to think of it I was in here the other day and nobody bothered..." All this was from inside the helmet. Me? Don't really like confrontation - so inwardly I was now thinking "blimey mate, don't be such a d!ck, just get yer hat off". Anyway, as I was leaving he actually was removing his h e l m e t.

Personally, I don't have an issue with this procedure . I drive on to the forecourt, get off the machine, remove gloves and lid, fill up, pay then put on lid etc. It's only common sense after all...and good manners if there's a sign on the door telling you what to do. I'm interested in the security of the staff than the agro caused by 10 seconds of removing my lid.

So - how about you?
Old 27-09-06, 08:18 PM   #2
Kinvig

Never been asked to take my helemt off - & I never have.

Always keep it on. If I'm paying for goods then I think that as as service provider they should expect to treat me as they find me. Garage forecourts are there for bikes as well as cars.

Admittedly if they asked me to take it off *really nicely* then I would consider it.

Um, thinking about it, all the garages I got to have either the plastic stuf up to stop attacks or the wire stuff up. Probably why I've never been asked...London, eh?
Old 27-09-06, 08:27 PM   #3
philipMac

Normally my petrol filling routine runs like this:
Pull in.
Open Tank.
Wait till attendant dude comes over.
Pull out sawn off shotgun, and hold it to attendants head while staring levely at him.
Scream at him to "Fill my ****ing tank".
Continue to stare levelly at him.
Flip tank closed.
Pull away smartly.
At no point during this do I have two hands free to take my lid off, therefor my lid stays on.

And take my plates off my bike.
Common sense really.
Old 27-09-06, 09:05 PM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
Normally my petrol filling routine runs like this:
Pull in.
Open Tank.
Wait till attendant dude comes over.
Pull out sawn off shotgun, and hold it to attendants head while staring levely at him.
Scream at him to "Fill my ****ing tank".
Continue to stare levelly at him.
Flip tank closed.
Pull away smartly.
At no point during this do I have two hands free to take my lid off, therefor my lid stays on.

And take my plates off my bike.
Common sense really.
You've have been on the good stuff agin haven't you .

I await the whinners and it's all Stingos' fault

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-06, 09:45 PM   #5
shao

Personally, i keep it on, take it off if they ask, and ride away thinking "why do i give in so easily, i should've kept it on....".
Old 27-09-06, 09:48 PM   #6
ArtyLady

Nope - I dont take it off and dont intend to - now especially, as I have a flip up for that reason

Its pretty obvious why we are wearing them so why should we take them off?
Old 27-09-06, 10:01 PM   #7
hoodlum

I've been asked to take my lid off at petrol stations and i refuse
They never refuse to take my money tho.

If I were to ask them to strip to their underpants/saucy lingerie they'd have something to say wouldn't they? So the words i generally use when someone "tells" me that I should remove my lid (in order that i may feature on their cctv) is to get fecked.
Old 27-09-06, 10:05 PM   #8
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2ride
Nope - I dont take it off and dont intend to - now especially, as I have a flip up for that reason

Its pretty obvious why we are wearing them so why should we take them off?
I'm in agreement with you on the first(blue) but the second I don't really understand

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
Old 27-09-06, 10:10 PM   #9
mac99

We've had this topic a few times before :

here

and here

at least.

Here in Bristol and surrounding areas I've never been asked to remove my lid. The station nearest to me however has recently started asking me to get off the bike when filling up rather than sitting on it. They never used to have a problem with this, and despite being told it was 'company policy' other branches of the same company (Esso) don't mind. It's apparently because of scooter drive offs. As I'd just read the second thread above, and as the manager and I were being very polite, I asked if they would like me to remove my helmet. He said 'no, that's not a problem' .

Quite how getting off thie bike stops ride offs though, I can't really figure out.
Old 27-09-06, 10:10 PM   #10
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
I've been asked to take my lid off at petrol stations and i refuse
They never refuse to take my money tho.

If I were to ask them to strip to their underpants/saucy lingerie they'd have something to say wouldn't they? So the words i generally use when someone "tells" me that I should remove my lid (in order that i may feature on their cctv) is to get fecked.
All I can say is good thing I'm not a petrol attendant with you as a customer . If I were one and you came to me that way, you'll loose every time. Trust me

Cheers
Ben