SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-09-08, 06:52 PM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default Which home cinema system to go with a PS3?

Going to be getting a PS3 shortly and will be rquiring a home cinema system, but will not require one with DVD player as the PS3 upscales DVDs, plays blu rays etc.

So which amp and speaker system, and preferably one that I can use to play music over (again from the PS3 and ipod) to avoid replacing my 1988 separates system? I don't want to pay too much, 200-300 quid ish if that helps.

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 24-09-08 at 07:03 PM.
Old 24-09-08, 06:58 PM   #2
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which home cinema system to go with a PS3?

Just get a nice pair of studio monitors.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-08, 07:02 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I bought a 'sound bar' to go with my PS3, sits under the telly. Not exactly 5.1, but fills the room with nice sound, without that awful whoompa whoompa crap bass that comes with most surround systems. Plus no speakers and wires everywhere.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-08, 07:12 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
Just get a nice pair of studio monitors.
Is that a make, type of surround system or ??

I'm a bit clueless in all this.
Old 25-09-08, 09:19 AM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Going to be getting a PS3 shortly and will be rquiring a home cinema system, but will not require one with DVD player as the PS3 upscales DVDs, plays blu rays etc.

So which amp and speaker system, and preferably one that I can use to play music over (again from the PS3 and ipod) to avoid replacing my 1988 separates system? I don't want to pay too much, 200-300 quid ish if that helps.
Tim, do you want a surround system or just a pair of speakers and a Sub?

If the former, you will be streteched to get a 5.1 system for around £300.

A 2.1 system, well, get yourself a pair of Floor standing speakers and an Onkyo AV amp. Both can fit just about in your top end of your budget, then as money allows, you can get the rest of the system, (centre speaker & Rears speakers)

Im not a fan of Richers sounds, but something like this

http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...KY-TXSR505-SIL

And these

http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...=GALE-4040-MAP

Or this instead, no need for an amp
http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...d=ONKY-HTX22HD

Last edited by Viney; 25-09-08 at 09:27 AM.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 10:31 AM   #6
Tim in Belgium

Yep, that last Onkyo HTX 22HD looks a good bet, HDMI and can be upgraded to 5.1 later, I may look further into it.

My other thought was the Sony DAV IS10, although it comes with a DVD player (un-needed) and is a little more than I was planning (about 330 ish from some places):

http://www.flattelly.co.uk/shop/sony...em-p-2083.html
Old 25-09-08, 01:09 PM   #7
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I was refering to flat response Studio monitors. They are designed to be used in studios and for the price are miles better than HIFI speakers. I am not a fan of any of these 5.1 systems as usually they colour the sound. If you could see the frequency response you would see that it has echanced low end and top end and a lot of mid frequencies anntenuated. A smily face if you will.

See here:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nearfield_monitors.html

For the love of god do not buy any behringer ones but there are some Alesis and Mackies that are within your price range. And just be careful some are priced per pair others are single.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 01:50 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Yep, that last Onkyo HTX 22HD looks a good bet, HDMI and can be upgraded to 5.1 later, I may look further into it.

My other thought was the Sony DAV IS10, although it comes with a DVD player (un-needed) and is a little more than I was planning (about 330 ish from some places):

http://www.flattelly.co.uk/shop/sony...em-p-2083.html
That sony thing is ok, but it will sound rubbish for music (mine does and i have a similar sony system) and exactly what you want. Its a H1b or something like that. A Stand alone Dolby Digital kit with 2 optical, rca, and usb inputs. Sounds poo with music through it though. Great for TV and suchlike.

As for Flat telly, i just bought my Plasma form there and they are good.

Last edited by Viney; 25-09-08 at 01:52 PM.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote