SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-07-08, 11:37 PM   #1
Troy

Red face Too much oil on the K&N, now running on 1 cylinder...

Oops...

I put a little* too much oil on my K&N filter when I cleaned it recently. Went out of town on vacation for a while, while bike sat in the garage. Now it's running on one cylinder when I get back.

I pulled the air box and pink K&N oil practically poured out. Since this runs right down into the front cylinder, could there just be a bunch of oil in my front cylinder, preventing it from firing?

I pulled the spark plugs (whatever engineer put the radiator right there needs a beating!) and they looked oil, it wasn't dripping oil... Any ideas?

Cheers,
-Troy

2001 red curvy.

* By "little", I mean, what the hell was I thinking? It was SOAKED!
Old 13-07-08, 11:42 PM   #2
injury_ian

Default Re: Too much oil on the K&N, now running on 1 cylinder...

fingers crossed you haven't hydro locked your engine (oil doesnt like compressing so something else has to give way... )

depends how much oil you're talking about!
Old 13-07-08, 11:46 PM   #3
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury_ian View Post
fingers crossed you haven't hydro locked your engine (oil doesnt like compressing so something else has to give way... )

depends how much oil you're talking about!
Try turning it over a few times with the none firing spark plug out... See if it fires (youll need to hold the spark plug next to the frame) MAKE SURE YOU DONT SHOCK YOURSELF. This should also move any oil a little that might be in the front cylinder.

Clean as much as you can. Make sure the Throttle Bodies/carbs arnt blocked up. Depending on how long they are left the carbs can clog up with Petrol jelly. Not good

Hope some of that helps!
Old 13-07-08, 11:51 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
MAKE SURE SOMEONE'S FILMING IT IF YOU SHOCK YOURSELF.
Hth

As mentioned previously, try clearing the cylinder by cranking it without a plug, but either ground the plug, or disconnect the coil. Doesn't take much oil to get in the way of firing. Doubt there'll be enough to hydro lock it though, if it sounds normal when cranking it's not broken a rod.

I've heated plugs up to remove oil before.
Old 14-07-08, 05:42 AM   #5
Troy

Thanks all, I'll give that a try!
Old 15-07-08, 05:30 AM   #6
Troy

Dubya tee eff... I'm at a complete loss now. I checked both plugs, they both look and smell pretty clean, are properly gapped, and no oil fouling. I checked both plugs with the engine running: With either plug pulled, the engine still runs. The pulled plug sparks fine when ground on the frame, so they're obviously both getting fuel and both firing!

However, it still SOUNDS like it's running on a single cylinder. If I don't have the choke engaged a bunch, it drops down really low in the RPM and eventually dies. With the choke engaged, it will keep running, but a strong twist on the throttle will kill it.

I pulled the air cleaner with it running (meh... It wasn't dusty in my garage!) and looked into each of the carbs while gently rolling on the throttle. The butterfly valves open as they should, and the RPM eventually climb, but it's completely gutless and the, ummm... Thinga-ma-bob, the dooma-hickey right above the butterfly valve... The piston-valve? I think that's what it is. Anyway, it flutters back and forth real fast with each intake stroke.

Any ideas? Vacuum leak somewhere? All the hoses look good. Any suggestions accepted!

Thanks!
-Troy
Old 15-07-08, 10:15 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Sounds lovely, check the diaphragms for splits.
Old 15-07-08, 02:45 PM   #8
Troy

Old 15-07-08, 02:46 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yup. if there's a hole in it then it'll rev up really slow. Although with them fluttering it's a slim chance, but an easy checl.
Old 15-07-08, 05:21 PM   #10
Troy

I'm currently stuck at work (a Yank in Pacific time) so I can't check it right now... Shouldn't be any problem checking this part with the carbs still on the bike, as long as I don't drop anything down inside, right?