SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-10, 10:09 PM   #1
Berlin

Default Cylinder head Guru required!

...Preferably in the Newcastle

... So I bought a new Cylinder head for the GSXR 600 K3 race bike.. a very very special cylinder head. So Special it comes gas flowed and ported with machined pistons so the valves don't self destruct on them. It also comes with variable cam timing and serious cams and should add about 20BHP to the bike.

All I have to do is fit it! This has the distinct possibility of going very, very wrong, very, very quickly.

The Very helpful Paul from the Dyno centre (www.dynobike.co.uk Excellent service today! Very clever man!) managed to sort out the glitch in the fuelling today. Just in time to see it all come apart and have to be completely set up from scratch again! At least I'll get a couple of practice days out of it before the strip down.

So, is there anyone that fancies holding my hand during the surgery? I can pay with as many cups of tea as you can drink and hold things extremely steady if required. Even if its by phone! Should it not explode on start up, you'll get your name on the ever expanding list of forum member sponsors on the fairing!

Now as this is valve timing and very technical, I'd prefer someone who obviously has some knowledge of this kind of thing and not someone who once changed an inner tube in a Raleigh Chopper but feel free to come around and watch the goings on if you're interested.

So then, What's a 1.3 degree piston/valve overlap all about? I have solder for squish!

Cheers,
Carl

Last edited by Berlin; 18-03-10 at 10:11 PM.
Old 19-03-10, 11:17 AM   #2
Berlin

Default Re: Cylinder head Guru required!

Blimey! The Org is Guruless!

Anyone have any info at all on this sort of stuff?

Online links? Rumours? Blokes down the pub?

C

Last edited by Berlin; 19-03-10 at 11:19 AM.
Old 19-03-10, 11:24 AM   #3
ophic
Mega Poster

*bloke down the pub mode*

Isn't it just a case of getting the camshaft in the right place in relation to the crank?
Old 19-03-10, 12:05 PM   #4
ThEGr33k

Im not too up on cams unfortunately. As for over lap, that sounds like the hardest thing to work with. You need to know the cam degree's so you can get them both bang on.

Unfortunately I don't know much about all that either, all i can say is the best for my engine is 106/109 and im not certain what that means.

Maybe I should come along to find out something? When you planning the surgery? If i got my bike back I could come and point at things...
Old 19-03-10, 12:45 PM   #5
Berlin

You're most welcome to the surgery!

Google's great...

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/TimingTutorial/

http://www.camshaftshop.com/camshaft...alve-clearance

If these were standard cams I'd not have a worry in the world doing it myself but as the pistons are machined to match them then things are obviously very, very tight in there Each cam has an adjustable gear cog at the end meaning it's possible to stuff things up very easily! ... and there's no marks to line them up either, even if you know where TDC is. (panic!)

I'm praying that where they currently are is the right setting for my engine block but as the donor bike was running a super thin yoshi head gasket I'm not sure they will be.. unless I also run a super thin Yoshi head gasket?

It looks like I need a "Degree Wheel"! Anyone got one?

C
Old 19-03-10, 12:55 PM   #6
Berlin

More interesting info...

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183617
Old 19-03-10, 01:49 PM   #7
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Any idea who did the head work & the source of the cams, Carl?
Failing that, if you establish the middle* of the period of maximum lift & time that at TDC you'll minimise the chance of a valve/piston interface.
* They're often not symmetrical
Dont blame me if/WHEN it goes bang, but just adding to the plot.
Old 19-03-10, 03:26 PM   #8
ThEGr33k

http://www.alcester-racing-sevens.com/cam_timing.htm

Something else that might help.

Cheers for the reading, I think I did once learn a lot of this but it had gone.

Do you know what timings the cams should be at? Anyway to find out? I think that once you have all the gear it should be reasonably easy (in theory anyway) to test what they are at and adjust. Once you measured the first time you'll know exactly how far out. Turn them then test again and should be sound.

Oh and be glad you are only doing 2 cams! Id love to make sure mine were at what most Aprilia engine people recon is best (106/109) for all round performance but man, id have to slot the gears and well mess around a whole lot. Maybe ill get another engine and "blue print" it to a low level...

Anyway, I digress.

Let me know when you are doing it mate and id love to come and see whats goin on!

Cheers
Old 19-03-10, 03:35 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I've got a minimal knowledge of such things.

If it was already all timed up for "bolt this lot onto a stock bottom end with X base gasket and Y head gasket" then that will probably be OK.

However if you building it from bits (i.e never been together, god knows what machining done to head, barrel and base.) then you need to think up target squish numbers, maybe CC the head and pistons to find CR and then figure out what valve-piston clearance is acceptable.

Lot of this is figuring out numbers. If somebody else already worked these out life is FAR easier!

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 19-03-10 at 03:38 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-10, 05:41 PM   #10
Berlin

The only marks on the cams are a small "PP" inside the end of one of them pressed into what looks like alloy inside the end of the shaft.

They were together but the previous owner took them apart (DOH!). The shims and cam fittings are now rattling around inside the rocker box cover.

C