SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-04-10, 07:14 PM   #1
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Jayne down then straight back up again

I finally got to ride Silvie, my gorgeous SV650S, after two and a half years of ownership and all I can say is what a machine she is.

However, when we pulled up in the car park outside Carols Nan's house, the front wheel slid on gravel and I ended up on my back with the machine on its side. It was a really stupid mistake and thankfully I was not hurt and there was no visible damage to the bike. Carol nearly freaked and in no uncertain terms told me that I had to be more careful when on a loose surface. She then picked up the bike for me and checked it over, before making sure I was fine.

We parked the bikes up and although I was a bit shocked, I was OK and we spent a couple of hours with Nanny Noreen, who was lovely and kind in not teasing me about falling over on my first ride.

The ride back homeward was scary, the SV is so powerful and the engine braking is another thing I am going to have to get used to, after the CG's tiny amount. I had a couple of wobbles while I got accustomed to her and was starting to find my feet as we pulled up outside my dear friend Nikki's house. Nikki's girlfriend Angie came out to see me and was almost as excited to see me on my bike as I was. Nikki was full of her gentle humour and only laughed a little bit when I told her that I had fallen off already.

Sadly, some one took a dislike to the CG, which Carol chose to ride today, while it was parked outside Nikki's and drove their car into it, knocking it over, bending the side stand forwards and damaging the bike. They then drove off and left the bike sat on its exhaust pipe. We now need a new side stand and centre stand, but for now the bike is in the garage leaning against my recumbent pushbike. Carol was quite upset because she felt responsible for the bike being hit by a car driving idiot, but it was parked correctly and was not in anyones way. Some people are just nasty and driving off like that was rude, I hope that they feel guilty for what they did.

The final ride home was lovely, I was getting used to all of that power (33BHP!) and was starting to find the throttle was not as on/off as it originally felt, the clutch was so light, even compared to the CG and the gear box was satin smooth. It is such an awesome machine. It is going to take me a while to get used to the bike, it was after all only my first day out on the bike. It would be nice if I could grow as confident on the SV as I am on the CG, but that will only come with time and riding. Big bikes are amazing.

I can feel my enthusiasm gland just got big again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-10, 07:17 PM   #2
husky03
Mega Poster

Default Re: Jayne down then straight back up again

well done mrs- gravel is a pain in the a$$ but no damage and a lesson learned
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-10, 07:21 PM   #3
barwel1992

NICE ONE !!!

shame about the drop but ohh well its all a learning experience

and car drivers rely are c0ck's
Old 24-04-10, 07:23 PM   #4
ArtyLady

Glad you were okay - most of us have done it at some time or other! I avoid gravel still to this day!
Old 24-04-10, 07:23 PM   #5
Geodude
Mega Poster

Well done Jayne and i hope whichever nugget knocked Henry over has ended up with a dent or a big scratch.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-10, 07:29 PM   #6
Bluefish

first ride and a spill allready,bummer, well at least you have got that out of the way, now just get out there and get some miles in, you will soon get used to it. happy rideing.
Old 24-04-10, 07:58 PM   #7
kellyjo

I too dropped it on gravel, doing a u-turn, on my first ride out, and it was probably one of the best things that could have happened. It made me realise just what i was dealing with and how much i had to focus and think about what i was doing. A few scratches and no speed involved was the best way to learn a very valuable lesson.

Glad you got straight back on and glad you're lovin' it
Old 24-04-10, 08:12 PM   #8
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Almost did the same when I was pulling into a car park on the A470 up in the Breacons, but, as long as you are alright, that is that matters
Old 24-04-10, 08:44 PM   #9
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Glad you're ok. Hope there's no damage to the bike.

You don't have to be a beginner to fall off. A couple of years back I was out on the 400 gixer and I pulled into a layby to use the toilets there. As I stopped I flicked the sidestand down and started to step off the bike only to discover that the sidestand hadn't gone right down and the bike toppled over with me still on it! I squashed my foot between the fairing and the deck and it took me a minute to extricate myself. Meanwhile the berk in the car parked opposite me stayed sat where he was and made no attempt to offer help or check that I was ok despite seeing me fall over with the bike......

And I've only been riding 38 years! As I say, not just new riders.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-10, 08:49 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

sounds like my first voyage on the SV after a hefty 'back on the road' mechanics bill.
Went to show off to me mate who lives on an unadopted road, saw big lake in pothole, decided to go for the gravel next to it instead, lost tracking and fell foot first in the pothole I was avoiding!! Very deep and caused Suzy scars, as a nice man helped her up for me but she slid on the gravel
Does make you a bit wobbly after doesn't it?
But you got back on and enjoyed it,,, good for you

Whats reallllly bad luck is the CG, thats just a really sh11ty thing to do and drive off.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote