SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-06-06, 09:54 AM   #131
stewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
Can't really see how you can be annoyed at being nicked - that's rather fast! 109 mph is way over the limit whether you were speeding up, slowing down, being followed by the plod or not.

Good luck with it.

i normally bash out 160mph on nice roads...whats wrong with you lot ....

Best of luck mate ...
Old 23-06-06, 10:11 AM   #132
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Similar to the argument about overtaking on the inside lane in America, I remember driving on the Autobahns which were mostly two lanes. You never got anyone hogging the outside lane for fear of someone coming up behind you at 150mph. The outside lane was for a quick sharp overtake, then get back in. Whereas here people don't pull back in for fear of not getting back into the outside lane as it's just full of a long line of cars crawling past. If the limit was 90mph I think it would help bring back lane discipline and etiquette.

Hall feel v. sorry for you getting caught - good luck
Red One - good policy which I also try to follow.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-06, 10:24 AM   #133
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu369
Similar to the argument about overtaking on the inside lane in America, I remember driving on the Autobahns which were mostly two lanes. You never got anyone hogging the outside lane for fear of someone coming up behind you at 150mph. The outside lane was for a quick sharp overtake, then get back in. Whereas here people don't pull back in for fear of not getting back into the outside lane as it's just full of a long line of cars crawling past. If the limit was 90mph I think it would help bring back lane discipline and etiquette.

I don't think it has anything to do with the speed limit - Lane discipline is appalling in the UK because drivers are lazy. I recently drove in France and was amazed how well disciplined cars were. I think people have a tendency to think 'I won't pull in, because I'm going to be overtaking that next car in a minute". That is if they are thinking at all! Some people just blindly stay put completely unaware! In France, drivers would pull in everytime, regardless of the fact that they would need to overtake in 30 secs/1mins time! It was a breath of fresh air and I think that when the majority do it, the minorites tend to follow suit. Its just a shame that over here, the minorities and majorities are the other way round.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-06, 10:24 AM   #134
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001
Maybe so but the more you get used to speed the more likely you will act approrpiately and not panic or over-react. Like anything, the more used to it the better you should be and therefore you identify dangers earlier. I'm pretty sure motorways are still the safest roads in the UK
Which is completely opposite to what seems to happen. People get used to the speed and start tailgating rather than keep a safe distance or slow down and actually become more of a hazzard imho.

Ive seen too many pile ups on the M20 which have been HGV/high speed car interfaces.

And when it goes wrong on a motorway the consequences are usually fatal, more so than on other roads I would suggest because of the higher speeds involved. Or do I need to link to high speed motorway pile ups to prove that point? :P
Old 23-06-06, 10:32 AM   #135
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu369

I don't think it has anything to do with the speed limit - Lane discipline is appalling in the UK because drivers are lazy. I recently drove in France and was amazed how well disciplined cars were. I think people have a tendency to think 'I won't pull in, because I'm going to be overtaking that next car in a minute". That is if they are thinking at all! Some people just blindly stay put completely unaware! In France, drivers would pull in everytime, regardless of the fact that they would need to overtake in 30 secs/1mins time! It was a breath of fresh air and I think that when the majority do it, the minorites tend to follow suit. Its just a shame that over here, the minorities and majorities are the other way round.
Yes but most of the French autoroutes are nowhere near as busy as our motorways. Drive through a busy section near a major city and things arent much better.
Old 23-06-06, 10:32 AM   #136
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Which is completely opposite to what seems to happen. People get used to the speed and start tailgating rather than keep a safe distance or slow down and actually become more of a hazzard imho.

Ive seen too many pile ups on the M20 which have been HGV/high speed car interfaces.

No links please!

Tailgating is a factor of frustration usually - caused by inappropriate lane use or just aggresive driving. I see tailgating at 40mph as well as 100mph so I don't think that's speed related. If you could overtake all lanes then I believe this wouild diinish. Poor raod craft will always be there though.

True, more likely to have a serious accident but much less likely to have an accident in the first place. Why are there accidents in the first place, very rare that speed alone caused it.
Old 23-06-06, 10:40 AM   #137
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar

That is mostly my point, if someone was allowed to come up behind you much faster than you're doing do you not think the majority of people would start pulling back in after overtaking?
Alternatively allowing overtaking on the inside would have the same result. If you didn't like it happening to you, you would pull in.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-06, 11:59 AM   #138
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001
No links please!

Tailgating is a factor of frustration usually - caused by inappropriate lane use or just aggresive driving. I see tailgating at 40mph as well as 100mph so I don't think that's speed related. If you could overtake all lanes then I believe this wouild diinish. Poor raod craft will always be there though.

True, more likely to have a serious accident but much less likely to have an accident in the first place. Why are there accidents in the first place, very rare that speed alone caused it.
See now I dont see it as much about inappropriate lane use as about speed.

I find the worst tailgaters are the ones that seem to think they have a god given right to do 140 down the outside lane and no-one else should be there despite the fact a car doing 70 on the M20 is often there because of an HGV overtaking another one.

Yes its a frustration thing but primarily because they want to go faster. And this occurs an awful lot on the M20 when its quite clear the volume of traffic on the motorway is so heavy that lane discipline isnt a cause.
Old 23-06-06, 12:06 PM   #139
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
Personally I think 72.3mph is the safe maximum speed for motorways
Well I hear where you're coming from, but that extra .3mph could well be the difference between a fatality and just getting a bit bruised. Slow down man that's just waaaay too fast.

Old 23-06-06, 12:26 PM   #140
Captain Nemo

theres a speed limit on motorways??