SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-06-06, 12:30 PM   #141
diamond

If he knew they were behind him for 15-20 miles why did he speed up?

It's not the speed thats the problem, i do more than that on my way to work every morning, just the lack of observational skills.
Old 23-06-06, 12:31 PM   #142
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001
No links please!

Tailgating is a factor of frustration usually - caused by inappropriate lane use or just aggresive driving. I see tailgating at 40mph as well as 100mph so I don't think that's speed related. If you could overtake all lanes then I believe this wouild diinish. Poor raod craft will always be there though.

True, more likely to have a serious accident but much less likely to have an accident in the first place. Why are there accidents in the first place, very rare that speed alone caused it.
See now I dont see it as much about inappropriate lane use as about speed.

I find the worst tailgaters are the ones that seem to think they have a god given right to do 140 down the outside lane and no-one else should be there despite the fact a car doing 70 on the M20 is often there because of an HGV overtaking another one.

Yes its a frustration thing but primarily because they want to go faster. And this occurs an awful lot on the M20 when its quite clear the volume of traffic on the motorway is so heavy that lane discipline isnt a cause.
Your right Lynw - reading between the lines I think what your saying is to ban all HGV's from motorways and set a minimum limit to 100mph with compulsary right of way for quicker traffic. Like it
Old 23-06-06, 12:39 PM   #143
sharriso74

Better still veichles with 4 or more wheels can only travel between the hours of 3am and 4am
Old 23-06-06, 01:14 PM   #144
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharriso74
Better still veichles with 4 or more wheels can only travel between the hours of 3am and 4am
Now THAT is a great idea.

Was travelling on the M40 today and all 3 lanes, YES ALL 3 were taken up by 3 lorries who were trying to pass eachother at about 1mph. Why?! I was tempted to pass through them but though better of it, would probably end up under the wheels and that would sting a bit. Once I got past them I justshook my head and was greeted by a middle finger. Lovely.
Old 23-06-06, 01:20 PM   #145
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharriso74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan
I was tempted to pass through them but though better of it, would probably end up under the wheels and that would sting a bit.
Yes, I can vouch for that... sting is a bit of an understatement though!
Old 23-06-06, 01:24 PM   #146
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.d.
It's not the speed thats the problem, i do more than that on my way to work every morning, just the lack of observational skills.
No e.d., say what you really think.

Old 23-06-06, 01:44 PM   #147
Peter Henry

You know ignore all other comments on this thread for E.d has for sure hit the most important point here. I do not criticse anyone for opening their bike up a little. But the fact Hally knew they had been behind him for so long raises serious questions.

I have pulled over and forced a "suspect" vehicle to pass me on many occasions. If being followed for the length of time he had, Hally never even considered that it could be a Police vehicle then that is indeed very nieve on his part.

So again not really speed that is the issue here,but as well spotted by Liz observation skills certainly are.
Old 23-06-06, 01:49 PM   #148
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
You know ignore all other comments on this thread for E.d has for sure hit the most important point here. I do not criticse anyone for opening their bike up a little. But the fact Hally knew they had been behind him for so long raises serious questions.

I have pulled over and forced a "suspect" vehicle to pass me on many occasions. If being followed for the length of time he had, Hally never even considered that it could be a Police vehicle then that is indeed very nieve on his part.

So again not really speed that is the issue here,but as well spotted by Liz observation skills certainly are.
erm hate to mention this but it was an UNMARKED car. As far as James was probably concerned it was just an ordinary driver following him.

Would YOU really know if you were being followed by an unmarked car or just an ordinary one? I know I wouldnt necessarily be able to make that distinction.
Old 23-06-06, 01:50 PM   #149
Filipe M.

Just a little aside... while you're here discussing speed limits, observational skills, potencial dangers, etc, has anyone wondered where hall13uk is?... last time I saw he was calmly blasting aroung Laguna Seca on a VFR400 in the PS2...
Old 23-06-06, 01:52 PM   #150
diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw

erm hate to mention this but it was an UNMARKED car. As far as James was probably concerned it was just an ordinary driver following him.

Would YOU really know if you were being followed by an unmarked car or just an ordinary one? I know I wouldnt necessarily be able to make that distinction.
Yes i would know, they stand out a mile.

For a start they usually have 2 uniformed policeman sat in the them. They also have a stupid amount of ariels and they follow you at the right distance instead of being right up your **** like normal drivers.