SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-06-06, 04:39 PM   #81
busasean

the traffic police are based just off junction 5/6 off the m20 at coldharbour! one of their unmarked volvos is gk 53 xsw its a pale blue/grey colour. they also have a Hayabusa donated by Suzuki for enforcement work! bloody tossers the lot of them (my brother works at coldharbour)
Old 22-06-06, 04:40 PM   #82
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by busasean
bloody tossers the lot of them (my brother works at coldharbour)
Does your brother know that you hold him in such high esteem?
Old 22-06-06, 04:44 PM   #83
BillyC
Mega Poster

If we all did 100+ on the motorways, they'd be a pretty awful place. They're bad enough as it is.

Doing those speeds just increases the risk for any number of awful situations. Thinking that it is okay to do those speeds just demonstrates an ignorance for the situation, and a selfishness for other users.

Empty motorway... not another vehicle in sight... fine, do what you like - but it's bloody boring!
Old 22-06-06, 06:33 PM   #84
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo
AS i dont usually see pedestrians on the motorway...
You obviously dont go far enough down the M20 then...
Old 22-06-06, 06:35 PM   #85
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by busasean
the traffic police are based just off junction 5/6 off the m20 at coldharbour! one of their unmarked volvos is gk 53 xsw its a pale blue/grey colour. they also have a Hayabusa...
Yes, and a silver scooby...cant remember the reg no. Will check when I'm back down at police hq again.
Old 22-06-06, 06:39 PM   #86
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
Daimo - I'm behind you on your views on this 100%. Everyone speeds - jesus my father does 120 on the m1 in his car and he's 67! - and everyone knows the possible consequences of speeding.

It's about time we updated the 70 mph limit in this country to reflect changes in automotive speed/safety.
But the point is there are just some places its inappropriate to do those kind of speeds. A lot of the M20 falls into that category, especially just after a ferrys arrived and theres an awful lot of HGVs heading london bound and an awful lot heading coast bound to catch one.

Haring down the M20 at over a ton will get you into trouble - its not a rarity to see a foreign HGV in the outside lane, and exceptionally frequent for the HGVs to be in the left and middle lane meaning normal slower traffic [ie those doing 50-70] are in the outside lane.

And these drivers dont indicate, look and go when clear. They indicate and GO. You approaching at over hundred [bearing in mind 70mph is around 109 ft per second, 105mph will be about 165 ft/second] when someone does that its simply going to equal trouble.

But Im just basing my opinion on nigh on 2 years of commuting on the M20 and losing count of the sheer number of accidents that happen between Wrotham and Ashford. There are times is dodgy enough doing 70 when you have European HGVs and drivers in numbers when you know damn well theyre not paying attention or driving carefully or safely.

Old 22-06-06, 06:46 PM   #87
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
Daimo - I'm behind you on your views on this 100%. Everyone speeds - jesus my father does 120 on the m1 in his car and he's 67! - and everyone knows the possible consequences of speeding.

It's about time we updated the 70 mph limit in this country to reflect changes in automotive speed/safety.
But the point is there are just some places its inappropriate to do those kind of speeds. A lot of the M20 falls into that category, especially just after a ferrys arrived and theres an awful lot of HGVs heading london bound and an awful lot heading coast bound to catch one.

Haring down the M20 at over a ton will get you into trouble - its not a rarity to see a foreign HGV in the outside lane, and exceptionally frequent for the HGVs to be in the left and middle lane meaning normal slower traffic [ie those doing 50-70] are in the outside lane.

And these drivers dont indicate, look and go when clear. They indicate and GO. You approaching at over hundred [bearing in mind 70mph is around 109 ft per second, 105mph will be about 165 ft/second] when someone does that its simply going to equal trouble.

But Im just basing my opinion on nigh on 2 years of commuting on the M20 and losing count of the sheer number of accidents that happen between Wrotham and Ashford. There are times is dodgy enough doing 70 when you have European HGVs and drivers in numbers when you know damn well theyre not paying attention or driving carefully or safely.

Fully agree with you there Lynn...having spent 3yrs commuting between folkestone and london I know what you mean. Many a morning and evening was spent sitting in miles of tailbacks due to european HGV's ending up in the central barrier or ditch on the side and more times than I care to remember, sitting on top of cars on the motorway
Old 22-06-06, 06:48 PM   #88
Itching 2 go

james, **** happens, i have done 160 down the m20 and didn't get nicked, you did 109 and did. sorry to hear you got **** luck!

I do have to ask tho, will a ban impact on your new job?
Old 22-06-06, 07:01 PM   #89
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itching 2 go
i have done 160 down the m20 and didn't get nicked
Not on the SV I guess!

As a rule I tend to let cars by that follow me at speed. If the following car is a "normal" driver they just go by and leave me alone. If they are cops I can give them a once over before resuming, if they drop in behind me then I get a little concerned and make it obvious I want them to go by. If they are going to pull me for speed they can only claim I went over the limit for a very short distance which I would try to argue as a momentary lapse over which demonstrated control and resumed normal speed.

It might not work, but at least I feel safer that way.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-06, 07:13 PM   #90
jonboy

Anyone who does more than 75 mph on a UK motorway ought to get banned. End of story.