SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-10-09, 07:52 AM   #1
Milky Bar Kid

Default Thomas Cook - WARNING!!

So, I manage to get myself some annual leave booked and after much persuasion, the decision is made that my friend and I shall go abroad for a week of it. I say much persuasion as I am utterly terrified of flying for some unknown reason.

On 1/10/09, we went into our local branch of Thomas Cook, explained to the lassie what we were after and she finds us a deal - 1 week in Ibiza, all inclusive, flying from Newcastle at 0725 on the 14th - £330. BARGIN!

We booked it there and then. My friend also took out insurance (I am covered by my own.) Holiday was in my friends name so she signed the bits of paper and was handed a "packet" containing the documents we would need to collect our tickets at the airport before check in.

This morning! Big day arrives. I have myself all psyched up and valium at hand and off we set to Newcastle. We have a good run and are there in just under 3 hours. Get on the wee curtesy bus and the driver tells us how we sound like we are from the Highlands and how great Ibiza is at this time of year to chill out.

Enter the terminal building. An hour before check in opens so we go to Starbucks, She has a Latte and I a Mocha. Yum!

Half an hour before check in, we note a queue is growing for the ticket desk so we join it. Wait for about 15 minutes for our turn and my friend hands over the paperwork. Woman can't find tickets. PANIC! She checks the system, once, twice, thrice....and says, "I'm afraid you were meant to fly on the 7th October." We assure her we weren't and she reads the paperwork we handed her.

The person at the branch has made a right royal........balls........of it all. Half of the paperwork saying we fly on the 14th, half the 7th.

So no holiday. Unless we were to pay again..and "even then I can't guarentee accomodation or a return flight..."

So we turned around and come home. £330 and 6 hrs drive for a Mocha...!

Gutted. Beyond belief. And my mother has decided I am jinxed...
Old 14-10-09, 07:55 AM   #2
TazDaz

Default Re: Thomas Cook - WARNING!!

Compensation?
Old 14-10-09, 08:09 AM   #3
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Ouuuch!!! bad bad news pal, sorry!!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you go back into Thomas Cook, which I think should be today. Go back into the branch today, with all your luggage, and kick up the biggest stink you can muster.

Have you tried phoning the branch? They might be able to sort something out whilst you're still at the Airport?

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-09, 08:12 AM   #4
GeneticBubble

Yea take that paper work back to where you got it and tell them what happened and how they royally screwed you over and demand compensation...
Old 14-10-09, 08:12 AM   #5
FG1

"The person at the branch has made a right royal........balls........of it all. Half of the paperwork saying we fly on the 14th, half the 7th. "

Ouch. BUT........It would have been better to have checked all the details just after getting the pack up. OK, your agent has stuffed up but for peace of mind I would have checked all the paperwork earlier. Good luck with getting your money back, should be easy enough.
Old 14-10-09, 08:14 AM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

that is gutting. What a complete let down.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-09, 08:16 AM   #7
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

MBK......absolutley gutted for you. Thats really really rubbish. Make sure that when you go to Thomas Cook, you get it all either refunded, or a better holiday at their cost. Plus compensation for travel costs of going there, time lost and possibly even time off taken for holiday from work.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-09, 08:16 AM   #8
petevtwin650

I'm with FG1 on this.

Always,always,always check paperwork. Any paperwork. For anything.

Really sorry about your holiday though. Hopefully TC will do the decent thing, refund your money and give you a free holiday too.
Old 14-10-09, 08:21 AM   #9
keithd

och no, MBK thats pants to hear

i couldnt imagine your disappointment of being at the airport, ready to go and get told nope sorry no can do!! hope you get compo sorted easily, and hope you get another holiday soon enough
Old 14-10-09, 08:22 AM   #10
Quedos

yes it should have been checked - but the majority of the time time people will read what they want to read esp when they have been discussing a holiday departing the 14th Oct. Get back to the branch and complain bitterly make sure you know what you want to achieve out of this and always ask for more. Don't be afraid to threateb the ombusdmen and if yo uhave a chance phone consumer direct on 0845 04 05 06 for advice - they've always come up trumps for me in the past. ( never lost an argument yet with them helping me)