SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-04-05, 08:24 AM   #1
marct

Default Bike not starting. Battery/Electric problems :(

Hi,

My SV is about 4 years old now. The bike has recently have trouble starting. You get that buzzing sound like when the battery is flat.
I stuck the battery on the optimate and it said the battery was weak at holding charge. I checked the running voltage one the battery and it was coming out at about 15 volts, so I assume the battery is getting charged ok.

I have now replaced the battery and it has lasted a week and I have the same problem again. The dealer charged it and drop tested the battery and said it's okay.

So, any ideas what is causing the problem?

Thanks
Marc
Old 08-04-05, 11:47 AM   #2
Clunk

Check the condition of the insulation on the wiring loom under the tank and seats to make sure its not shorting out somewhere.

Do you have an alarm fitted ? If so can it be left switched off to see if that solves it ?
Old 08-04-05, 12:23 PM   #3
marct

I do have a Datatool alarm, but I don't know if you can turn it off though.

Marc
Old 08-04-05, 05:18 PM   #4
RandyO

check your charging system after the bike is completly warm too, my RR failed intermittently, it would charge good ill it warmed up then go into battery discharge mode
Old 08-04-05, 07:58 PM   #5
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I can only suggest giving the starter motor a look at.

Then try starting it again and give the started a few ahem <gentle> taps. may just be a sticky starter.

hth
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote