SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-11-14, 01:26 PM   #1
JediGoat

Default Parking contravention 62...confused!

A bit of a long post, so TLDR version - Is this parking ticket valid?

I live in the London Borough of Brent and I've just received a £110 parking ticket for pavement parking near my house. I realise the fact that I've parked like that for a few years and checked with local wardens and local police that is it ok...is all irrelevant.

The ticket is for contravention 62 "Parked with one or more wheels on or over a footpath or any part of a road other than a carriageway". Where I'm confused (and why I've checked with local wardens previously) is that I'm parked on a section of road that permits parking with two wheels off the carriageway, albeit I'm not in a marked bay.

I realise this might sound confusing, so I'll try to explain. The whole street has pavement parking permitted (signs at either end of the street shows where is starts and ends). There are residents bay all along the street which straddle the pavement. The bays stop and restart in certain places (i.e. where there are double yellow lines in the road, or where there are obstructions on the pavement e.g. trees).

Where I park (because of a handy lamppost to chain to) there is a stretch of double yellows, but I'm not breaching that regulation as I'm not parked in the road. My bike is on the edge of the pavement, 'in line' with the other bays (i.e. next to the curb), although I doubt that matters. There are no motorbike bays in the local streets as Brent doesn't do many (bikes do not pay for parking permits and can park in any bay...but there's nowhere to chain my bike up in a bay!).

What I can't find is any definite information that states that the pavement parking rule only applies to marked bays within the section of road covered by the pavement parking signs. I far as I can work out at the moment, I'm parking on the pavement in an area that permits pavement parking, but I'm not parking in a permit holders bay (but then I don't have to have a permit).

If I'm in the wrong then I'll pay, but I'm rather ****ed off that I checked with so many traffic wardens when the parking restrictions came in and they all said I was allowed to park there.

Any advice appreciated (and yes, I can go out and take photos to explain it more...but not right now as I'm on nights this week so not dressed yet!)

Jo
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 01:35 PM   #2
Corny Gizmo

Default Re: Parking contravention 62...confused!

Could they be getting you pure and simply because you are effectively on double yellows? I read somewhere that double yellow lines on the road also apply to the pavement

Im sure someone will confirm
Old 05-11-14, 01:40 PM   #3
JediGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Gizmo View Post
Could they be getting you pure and simply because you are effectively on double yellows? I read somewhere that double yellow lines on the road also apply to the pavement

Im sure someone will confirm
I believe that is contravention 01, whereas I've received notice of contravention 62.
Old 05-11-14, 02:00 PM   #4
JediGoat

I've just realised that the 'date of service' was the 1st October, but the date of the notice is 4th November! There is also no 'discounted early payment' option. This is the first I've heard of this PCN, but it looks like I'm outside of the 28 day appeal window. Oh, and the charge goes up by 50% is not paid within 28 days. So now the charge is £165.

This was just popped through my (communal) letterbox by the postman, not signed for. How on earth do I begin to challenge the fact that I've not received anything before today?
Old 05-11-14, 02:09 PM   #5
Dipper

From what you say you've been issued the PCN for the incorrect contravention. I'd be inclined to challenge it.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 02:44 PM   #6
JediGoat

I just feel utterly deflated by this. I'm parking in the same place I've parked for years. I've got a PCN for it, but no ticket on the bike. If they sent an initial notice then it never got to me. I'm now not just outside the half-price discount period, but I'm outside the full price payment period, and in the 150% charge window (i.e. £165). I also seem to be outside the challenge window (28 days), and just a couple of days short of them appointing bailiffs.

And all of this was brought to my attention less than 2 hours ago.

I guess if I phone to say I didn't get the original PCN, they could say 'tough', or ask me to pay the £55 or £110. I'm not sure I have the stomach for challenging the PCN when it's outside the time period (albeit through no fault of mine), with all the risk of bailiffs that it brings.
Old 05-11-14, 05:24 PM   #7
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Aren't they meant to take a photo of the ticket attached to your vehicle as proof it was issued?
Old 05-11-14, 05:52 PM   #8
JediGoat

There are two grainy black and white photos showing my bike on the pavement, but no obvious ticket attached (there is no front facing photo). I'm not contesting that my bike was parked there, I just believe that it is allowed to be parked there...it has been for 10 years (at least 3 since new road markings) and never had a ticket.
Old 05-11-14, 05:58 PM   #9
Ch00

You cant park on the pavement outside of a marked box.

I would think if you explained that you have only just got the notice they as you live in flats then they might allow you to pay the normal price.
Old 05-11-14, 06:51 PM   #10
Kenzie

I saw a car getting a ticket for being parked in a loading bay. She had to take photos of the car from different angles showing the offence as well as the ticket attached to the vehicle. Could you not challenge on the basis that the ticket was not on the bike?

Last edited by Kenzie; 05-11-14 at 10:03 PM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote