SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-09-07, 07:51 PM   #1
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Motorcycle mechanic Apprenticeship

Has anyone done a motorcycle mechanic apprenticeship? I'm doing an electrical apprenticeship just now in my final year. But I don't really think its for me. I'd quite like a job to do with bikes and this seems perfect as I'll also learn about bike engines.
I'm not sure if I am too old though (21). But it could be an advantage in the employers eyes because I have had plenty of experience in a working environment and I'm not straight out of school.
Just looking for some info from people who have done this or who are mechanics. Do you think there is any chance of getting a job?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-07, 08:58 PM   #2
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Motorcycle mechanic Apprenticeship

do they do motorcycle apprenticeships separate to cars? as for being to old one of the blokes i work with started his a 23, it justs costs more to put you through college etc i think

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-07, 09:07 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Do you really need an apprenticeship to do the work?
Old 19-09-07, 09:12 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

not sure about the benefits of what I consider "to much" academic stuff, but formal work practises are worh their weight in gold, you can alway tell those who have been properly trained in the way they work.

Good luck with this, hope it works out for you.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-07, 09:16 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Never had any experience of how the acedemic training works, but IMO the only way to learn how to do a job is to do it. They can't train you for every situation you can possibly come across.
Old 19-09-07, 09:18 PM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
do they do motorcycle apprenticeships separate to cars?
I don't know to be honest. But I was thinking a bike garage could take me on and train me up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Do you really need an apprenticeship to do the work?
I don't know a lot about engines tbh. I suppose it doesn't need to be a formal apprenticeship but I definitely need some training
Old 19-09-07, 09:26 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'd be careful about it.

I started off with the cars knowing a lot of theory, knowing how engines and the rest work and how to work on it, but thats nothing to do with what you need.
Been playing around with cars for a while now, working on them over last year paid for the SV while I was at uni, and after that experience the last thing I want to do is work on cars! Scratting round under motors covered in oil and muck is no fun, it's cold, it's hard, it plays hell with your chest.
Good DIY and little job on the side for cash, but full time doesn't appeal to me at all.

Your opinion may vary, but try it before you commit to a long and expensive apprenticeship.

All IMO

Chris
Old 19-09-07, 09:35 PM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Likewise 2 years of rotating 8 hour shifts, fixing rovers and Bedfords was anything but fun, looked at it as a career but money isn't brillient either, Oh and you'll become the mechanic for the whole family & freinds crowd as well.

Most garages only do the replacement parts thing these days and not so much "fixing" stuff, alot can be learned by watching the old boys, they know stuff that's not taught anymore.

although good work practise and proper tool handling make any job a lot easier.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-07, 09:42 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Most garages only do the replacement parts thing these days and not so much "fixing" stuff, alot can be learned by watching the old boys, they know stuff that's not taught anymore.
Indeed, throwaway culture, fuel injection and kwik fit has killed off "mechanics" and made them all "fitters"

When you've to fix something on a budget its great fun, lets you be a bit creative
Old 19-09-07, 09:51 PM   #10
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'd be careful about it.

I started off with the cars knowing a lot of theory, knowing how engines and the rest work and how to work on it, but thats nothing to do with what you need.
Been playing around with cars for a while now, working on them over last year paid for the SV while I was at uni, and after that experience the last thing I want to do is work on cars! Scratting round under motors covered in oil and muck is no fun, it's cold, it's hard, it plays hell with your chest.
Good DIY and little job on the side for cash, but full time doesn't appeal to me at all.

Your opinion may vary, but try it before you commit to a long and expensive apprenticeship.

All IMO

Chris
I know what you mean. I was wanted to be an electrician but the reality is not what I expected. Crawling in dusty attics and on top of ducting. Working in the freezing cold with metal trunking and tray when your hands are numb with cold.
But at least with bikes it is something I am interested in. And at the end of the day I will be able to work on my own bike and know what I am doing.

Quote:
you'll become the mechanic for the whole family & freinds crowd as well.
Yeh I am now the sparky for all the family and friends.

Quote:
Yeh I'd have to try and find a good old fashioned place where they knew what they were doing and did things right. Not these cowboys you get that rip you off