SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-10-08, 08:37 AM   #11
Daimo

Default Re: bigger bike

Thing about smaller bikes is the gearbox. Smaller bikes are much more fun I think. Your using the gearbox a lot more as the gears are so much shorter and the powers much less. When your on a bigger bike, it takes more to get it wound up, your into license loosing speeds by the time your in 3rd gear.

I do like the fact you can chuck a smaller bike round a few bends, 3rd, 4th 5th,4th 3rd, back into the next corner, and so on… Where as a bigger bike, well you just pin the throttle in any gear and off it goes.

Only downer is that the revs end up higher in top gear at a much slower speed.

I can see the fascination with 250 twins, and IL4 400cc bikes.
Old 24-10-08, 08:59 AM   #12
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
You still own a fully faired bike you nut!
everyone's a little gay...

some are gayer than others however, especially the GSXR riders, bunch of sausage suckers by all accounts
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-08, 09:08 AM   #13
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Dunno keep wanting to get the Raptor out and play on it, but never have yet. One minute I want an Xtra, the next i don't fancy a bigger bike. Think its a case of everybody always wants to something they haven't got. Theres nowt wrong with the one they've got, theres just summat bigger, better, faster, more shining at them for a brief moment, and ya get sucked in...

But...if i had an Xtra Raptor (obviously it wouldn't do what numbers Tuono does) but it would make me look like one mean, hard, mutha...mwahahaha

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-08, 09:21 AM   #14
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Ive got a ZX9R and an SV.Most days I ride the SV as its more satisfying to ride on conjested real roads in overcrowded South East England.Its a far better bike in London for obvious reasons.(SV650N)
The ZX9R gets used for longer distances and is great at that.It will do 60 MPG at legalish speeds,and will accelerate to any speed in any gear whenever you want and is comfortable to ride all day.
Would I buy a new big sportsbike?No.Ultimately too frustrating for road riding.
Old 24-10-08, 09:32 AM   #15
maviczap
Mega Poster

Well I've read the posts and can see the temptation in wanting a bigger bike, more power acceleration. I've had the bigger faster bikes, Guzzi Spada & GSX750 after that. But I always enjoyed my smaller lightweight bikes around 500 - 650cc size. Plus I love v twins so the SV was the ideal choice.

But I have a colleague at work who only passed his test in August and despite advice from several of us, went out and bought a 1200 Bandit. No of us can figure out why, he rides like an old woman, so why not buy a mid range bike?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-08, 09:36 AM   #16
aarond

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post

But I have a colleague at work who only passed his test in August and despite advice from several of us, went out and bought a 1200 Bandit. No of us can figure out why, he rides like an old woman, so why not buy a mid range bike?
because he wanted it it may not be ideal but he wanted it and as some one once said to me biking is all about fun and the smile!
Old 24-10-08, 09:39 AM   #17
maviczap
Mega Poster

Plenty of 600 - 650 Bandits about, just as must fun as a 1200
Old 24-10-08, 09:50 AM   #18
aarond

yeah but if he wanted the bike bike even just to say he had it fair play to him i certainly wouldn't have gone out and bought the 1200 tho
Old 24-10-08, 10:15 AM   #19
maviczap
Mega Poster

Maybe he just wanted something we couldn't take the **** out of

Unlike the 1970's leathers he wore only once which were a very gay blue!
Old 24-10-08, 10:21 AM   #20
Jackhammer

just made the upgrade to a grand in the hand - and i must say i am loving the power and the torque - well the latter depends upon the bike you choose i am sure ..... My Falco Kicks out 70lb/ft from low down the range and that really does provide face peeling acceleration

as stated above the power is addictive - however i question whether its necessary. The devil on my shoulders is slapping me up-side my head right now saying "of course it is you daft bu&&er - bosh"

but i probably should have experimented with some 600's. The main difference to me is preferring the size of the bike (am 6ft 2" and thought i looked daft on my SV - am all arms and legs you see - like Jambo LOL) which is probably why i didn't spend long considering the different Sport 6's that are out there (too small) .... Having to not use the gear-box so much is nice too - lazy i know - but nice none the less - 3rd Gear hard going does increase you TEB (Time exposed to Banning) however a quick blip deep into 3-figures is just too much damn fun to resist (a QUICK blip only mind)

and BlueSV is 100% - you only need to watch his YouTube vids of his track-day laps from Silverstone to understand what he means.

So after all is said and done - if you want one and can afford to insure one - go for it -

Well thats my two-peneth HTH