SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-01-14, 08:55 AM   #11
ClunkintheUK

Default Re: Pin-lock inserts

Got them on all my visors, even the tinted visor which only comes out in the sunshine. When I am riding home of a moist evening I'll do a shoulder check using my very peripheral vision, and around the pinlock its just fog, can't see a blinking thing through it. Wouldn't use a visor without one.
Old 09-01-14, 09:29 AM   #12
LankyIanB

Pinlocks work by simple insulation. The air gap between the insert and the visor is enough to keep the insert warm enough so that your breath doesn't condense on it.

It's basically the same as single glazed windows (visor without pinlock) tend to get coverered in condensation when it's cold outside - glass becomes roughly the same temp as outside and the water vapour in your nice warm room condenses on it - With double glazing (visor with pinlock) the outer glass is the same temperature as outside and the inner glass is nearly the same temp as inside so you don't get condensation....

The bit that is important is the seal between the two bits of glass. If the seal goes you get condensation between the panes.....
Old 09-01-14, 09:52 AM   #13
daveyrach

I need some advise, I have a pinlock for 3 months now, i took it out to clean it and the visor, I did this in accordance with the care sheet for the pinlock but now it won't seem to fit back properly and make a seal. I rocks on the pins so there is either a gap at the top or bottom so it steam up between the visor and insert. Bloody annoying in this weather. What can I do?
Old 09-01-14, 10:26 AM   #14
trudd

Default Re: Pin-lock inserts fitted.

The pins should be an eccentric cam type arrangement so you can turn the pins and tighten up the insert to create a good seal.
Old 09-01-14, 12:10 PM   #15
sputnik

[QUOTE=LankyIanB;2927283]Pinlocks work by simple insulation. The air gap between the insert and the visor is enough to keep the insert warm enough so that your breath doesn't condense on it.
QUOTE]

You would have thought that would be it, but the packaging does definitely make some sort of claim about the material absorbing moisture. Moisture-absorbing plastic sounds questionable to me but it's what it says!

Regardless, pinlock inserts are immense! Take care cleaning/drying them though as they scratch very easily compared to the visor. The paper towels at my work were enough to make a right mess of my last one.
Old 09-01-14, 12:19 PM   #16
daveyrach

Water absorbing plastic is one of these materials that came from the space race, but it does exist, google it.
Old 09-01-14, 07:34 PM   #17
Nutsinatin

I had one for a year and it was great, pretty much never had to open my visor, even stopped at lights, however I did find as it aged it wasn't as transparent as my visor and it actually started to become difficult to see through, even in good conditions, so I had to ride with my visor open else everything looked like I was riding with a particularly dirty visor. The major issue I had though was at night in the rain, it scattered any lights from cars, streetlamps etc. and all I could see was glare so there was no option other then to leave my visor open and get wet. A month ago the silicone bead broke so I had to chuck it, I contemplated replacing it but just started opening my visor instead, and now it's habit to adjust my visor depending on speed, so I don't really miss the pinlock. I guess really it's more down to what's available for your visor, as some are better than others, but they are good when they work. I wouldn't recommend taking them out to clean, at least not too often, as it seems to cause all kinds of issues getting a good seal for a while after, and if you manage to get some liquid or condensation between the pinlock and your visor, good luck...!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 09:15 PM   #18
GowerSV

I have one on my Shoe XR1100 - excellent. If it ever gets a bit of moisture trapped turn the buttons clockwise to tighten.
Old 09-01-14, 09:49 PM   #19
Nutsinatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GowerSV View Post
I have one on my Shoe XR1100 - excellent. If it ever gets a bit of moisture trapped turn the buttons clockwise to tighten.
I'll second that, my girlfriend has the XR1100 and the pinlock is definitely better and suffers less glare then in my X-lite!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote