SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-05-14, 04:50 PM   #81
rb8989

Default Re: Halal meat

Happy to be vegan.
Old 09-05-14, 05:33 PM   #82
SvNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
I believe that in a tolerant and free society People should have the right to want to punch me in the face, as long as they don't try to act on it [example for illustration only, feel free to plead mitigating circumstances in my specific case case].
So what you are saying is that it is ok to hate Jews; so long as you don't go out round up thousands of them and give them some special showers.

Damn you Godwin!
Old 09-05-14, 06:21 PM   #83
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNewbie View Post
So what you are saying is that it is ok to hate Jews; so long as you don't go out round up thousands of them and give them some special showers.

Damn you Godwin!

Pretty much.
Old 09-05-14, 06:34 PM   #84
Fruity-ya-ya

Having just watched a you tube video of how Halal meat is slaughtered, I think I can safely say I'd prefer to be stunned if I had the choice rather than bled out while fully compos mentis.

That said I see what some might say re the animal is bread for the table and what does it matter how they spend their last moments of life but, if the suffering can be limited or made less by stunning or in any way swifter by a shot to the brain, then I think I'm a supporter for the quicker ending.

I don't think killing something slower for religious reasons is something I can advocate but do respect that others might choose to seek it out as part of the belief they follow. I suppose there are things I do that others might not like or understand but that's what makes the world such an interesting place to live sometimes.

Last edited by Fruity-ya-ya; 09-05-14 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 06:55 PM   #85
Red ones
Mega Poster

Can someone explain to me why I need to get upset?
It was reported earlier this week that over 95% of Halal meat in the UK is stunned prior to slaughter, so the difference between Halal and non-Halal is a human element and blessing in one of the methods.

Contrast this with the horse meat story. It was reported that eating horse meat is not illegal . BUT horse meat is 'unclean' (only 2 horses were on the ark!) and not kosher or halal. To put it in foodstuff without notifying is misleading people to unknowingly consume a banned meat. Surely we should be upset about that?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 07:13 PM   #86
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

People just like to get uppity about things that really don't make one iota of a difference.... thats all it is...

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 08:05 PM   #87
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

There was also the issue of people getting upset that any horsemeat they had eaten possibly containing substances such as Bute, which is I believe a sort of Nurofen for nags. But if people knew some of the antibiotics and growth hormones and other rubbish they put in farm animals a tiny amount of Bute would be the least of their worries!
Old 09-05-14, 09:09 PM   #88
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Contrast this with the horse meat story. It was reported that eating horse meat is not illegal . BUT horse meat is 'unclean' (only 2 horses were on the ark!) and not kosher or halal. To put it in foodstuff without notifying is misleading people to unknowingly consume a banned meat. Surely we should be upset about that?
I don't really care about that but I would be pretty upset about eating brain matter and other stuff which is bound to be in there if they don't even know what animal it came from.

Remember the CJD thing?

This is why supermarkets can bugger off and I buy meat from a farm shop.
Old 09-05-14, 10:09 PM   #89
Mrs DJ Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
There was also the issue of people getting upset that any horsemeat they had eaten possibly containing substances such as Bute, which is I believe a sort of Nurofen for nags. But if people knew some of the antibiotics and growth hormones and other rubbish they put in farm animals a tiny amount of Bute would be the least of their worries!
Bute is a strong pain killer that is banned for competition horses, rather stronger than Nurofen, usually only used on older animals that are basically on their last legs, it was much more commonly used about 30 years ago, but even then you could face quite a long ban from competing if you were caught using it. I would have no problem eating horse meat, as it was said earlier it is about the provenance, if I was starving I would eat pretty much anything.
Old 11-05-14, 11:53 AM   #90
Owenski

9 pages of utter guff.
I wont eat lamb through principal but I do eat all other meats (we're designed to eat it) it would be silly not to.
Im not blinkered I know my beef once moo'd my kfc clucked etc but I do NOT support the idea that this meat it produced from a pain concious animal.
Ive seen slaughter house bolt guns and im happy that gets the result with the least stress to the animal.
Slitting its throught and draining it out without first tranquilising or sedating it in some way is ****ing horrific.
So the animal has to die and I dont contest that, but it doesnt need to suffer in the process.
Anyone who challanges that logic tell me what you would do if a pet of yours was dying on the street, leave it or help it?