SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Given the choice, would you wear a helmet?
Yes, I would wear a helmet, all the time. 69 86.25%
No, I'm a rebel, I'd ignore the risk 1 1.25%
Sometimes, depends on circumstances 8 10.00%
If Keith D doesn't wear one, I won't... 2 2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-14, 10:36 PM   #41
Owenski

Default Re: If helmets weren't compulsory, would YOU wear one?

Yes... because im not a ****ing idiot
Old 12-06-14, 11:33 PM   #42
Moleman

I wouldn't ride without a helmet, personal choice even if were legal to do so. Human body is a fragile thing so if you enjoy life why add the risk? Plus I have a wife two kids and a cat and love em all to bits and would miss them way too much.
Good few years back now I had a friend who rode with all the kit, young fashion conscious lad with a cracking RGV250 sp I think. He was hit from behind the car went over him with his head bouncing between the road and a mondeo! The rear tyres left tread imprints across his pelvis (I have seen the photos) which was shattered his back protector prevented his spine being smashed however his ribs were a mess. He still has his Arai helmet which was not cheap but saved his life, it held together but other shell was obliterated.

My choice would be to always wear a helmet the only thing I don't wear now and again are my leather trousers.
End of the day it's law for now so we comply if it were not law and you want to ride bare back hey it's your choice, I respect that but life can be full of regrets and 100 ish quid can get a decent lid these days which might just do you a favour one day.

Live long and prosper buddy's

Last edited by Moleman; 12-06-14 at 11:34 PM.
Old 13-06-14, 07:45 PM   #43
DJFridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
I definitely would, NOW.

Would I if they hadn't been compulsory when I started riding? Possibly not, for the same reason I don't wear a bicycle helmet.
Interesting thought, I think I'm the same. I never wear a cycle helmet but then, in fairness, I only get on the bicycle if we're going to the local pub and don't have time to walk. I've ridden smaller bikes than mine up and down the yard at work in chinos, a shirt and normal shoes. It felt great but a bit odd.

Hearing little stones, twigs, fat insects and other assorted rubbish hitting the helmet at 70 odd tends to make me happy I'm wearing it.
Old 13-06-14, 08:05 PM   #44
Mauler

I'd probably not wear one once a year just so that I could ride along at 70 with my bum-length dreadlocks trailing out behind me properly...

...but apart from that, no. Always with the lid. I like my head.

Last edited by Mauler; 13-06-14 at 09:11 PM.
Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-14, 08:55 PM   #45
ophic
Mega Poster

I had to stop today cos some little insect flew in through my open visor and sat wriggling against my ear. Horrible feeling and you have to stop, pull off gloves, undo chin strap and pull off helmet, which seems to take ages. Thank my lucky stars it wasn't a wasp.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 14-06-14, 08:13 AM   #46
timwilky
Mega Poster

When helmets became compulsory, I went of a few demos protesting the nanny state and personal responsibilities, something I still believe in.

I had a mate killed in the 70s when his open face chin up helmet came off and his head met the kerb. A that point I didn't see the point. Chin cups have since become illegal, fit has improved and properly fastened a modern helmet should stay in place.

Having over the past 30+ years had to replace helmets a couple of times as a result of a head/road interfacing. I would as an older wiser person always choose to wear a lid. Same as I now always clunk click. but I still believe in personal responsibility.
Old 14-06-14, 10:17 AM   #47
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
I had to stop today cos some little insect flew in through my open visor and sat wriggling against my ear.... <snip>
Are you sure it came from outside, and wasn't just exiting through your ear??
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-14, 12:08 PM   #48
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Are you sure it came from outside, and wasn't just exiting through your ear??
either way, no helmet, no problem
Old 15-06-14, 03:38 PM   #49
ChrisCurvyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Helmet if it weren't compsory? Not always, no.
Please no more patronising crap about healthcare costs, or condescending comments suggesting that deciding other than you might do is wrong.
If you were really concerned about safety there are a thousand things you might not do - of which motorcycling would very probably be one. All that PPE might do (note: might. You can still get hurt if you're togged up like a bomb disposal operative) is maybe reduce the consequences of a crash, not remove them.
The argument that healthcare costs are a problem might well be a factor in the ending of motorcycling, and it don't make a damn bit of difference if you habitually dress up like the Michelin Man or ride in a tee shirt, there are plenty of people who would like to see our little diversion banned.
Be careful what you wish for - you might just get it.
Perfectly put Sid.
Lots of riders seem to have a blind faith in the protective abilities of kit and helmets and think they somehow make motorcycling 'safe'.
Helmets and leathers help a bit in a crash but only up to a point - the main thing is what you hit and how hard you hit it.
I probably wouldn't ride any significant distance without a lid but wouldn't mind living in a country where you could choose not to.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-14, 07:22 PM   #50
Trev B

I started when helmets weren't compulsory,but always chose to wear one,my first closed face helmet was an Everoak,bright yellow,I lost a friend who wasn't wearing one many moons ago so saw the importance of self preservation,but can once remember seeing a program on the telly about helmets and It more or less said before compulsion a lot of motorcyclist were losing their lives in RTIs,but after,many more survived BUT landed up with life changing injuries,spinal and cerabal,I suppose similar to the seatbelt sinario.!!!
Trev B is offline   Reply With Quote