SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-08, 03:01 PM   #1
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Getting rid of small scratches

Got a scatch on the top of my SV tank - black tank, now has fine white scrape about 2 inches long. Any advice on how I can get rid or at least disguise it?

Also, anyone know a good divorce lawyer? The bike is only 3 months old and the scratch mysteriously appeared just after my husband had been showing his mates. It matches the sharp metal bit on his bracelet but he's denying everything!
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-08, 03:21 PM   #2
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Re: Getting rid of small scratches

Tcut and/or Autoglym super resin polish or one of the colour magic polishes (Turtlewax?)
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-08, 03:31 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

T-Cut or try the Autoglym Paint Rennovator polish. I had a nasty scratch in the tank of my GSXR and after a good going over with the above its just about got it out.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-08, 03:50 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
T-Cut or try the Autoglym Paint Rennovator polish.
Both are good stuff and should help you with your problem.
Old 29-08-08, 03:59 PM   #5
Mr_Chin

It all depends on how deep the scratch is. If it's gone through the lacquer and paint (down to bare metal), then t-cut, polish or compound won't help. If it's just gone through the lacquer, then all of the above will work.

Remember that when using any of the above, it must be done on a damp cloth, or they will all leave hair line scratches to the areas done.

Chin
Old 29-08-08, 08:30 PM   #6
TightRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Got a scatch on the top of my SV tank - black tank, now has fine white scrape about 2 inches long. Any advice on how I can get rid or at least disguise it?
My bike came with a similar scratch on the tank, I buffed it for a while with T-cut and it's now much less obvious. It sort of looks like a light indentation in the lacquer as opposed to a white mark now.
Old 29-08-08, 08:41 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont use god dam auffle T-Cut .. take it to your neerest spraypainter and get them to polish it out ... if they are not buisy and its a small scratch they will probebly do it there and then... cost about £15 ... mabee even nowt depending on the bodyshop. if its to deep they will be able to advise you on how much it would cost to sort.. if you realy want to do it yourself find your neerest spray paint supply shop and ask them for some Farecla G3... get some microfiber cloths dampen the cloth then rub the G3 till the scratch has gone... then do the rest of the tank... BTW G3 is a great all round polish for use on almost everything. wile you are at the spray shop get some carcare grade A polish its the stuff they use in showrooms and carlots.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-08, 09:45 PM   #8
mikey devon

you could try very lighty flatting scratch out with p2000 paper then using a g3 cutting paste 2 polish back go easy you dont want 2 break thru lacquer if yr nr devon and it doesnt polish i can refinsh it 4 u
Old 31-08-08, 03:40 PM   #9
bornagain

Autoglym Super Resin would be my choice.

If it's only a surface scratch (not through to the primer) then this should do it. Use it sparingly and exactly as it says on the bottle and you should be fine.

This polish is nowhere as abrasive as T cut or a lot of the compound type polishes - you will tell depending on what comes off and onto your polishing cloth!

As said previously though if the scratch is through the laquer and the paint then it's a spray shop job to put right.

Old 31-08-08, 03:50 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Just spray the lot satin black. HTH