SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 05-02-11, 01:41 PM   #1
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Vintage SLR camera

Somewhere around 12 years ago, when the Halifax Royal Infirmary was closing, my brother found a carrying case in an unused locker when they were clearing the place out.

I've had it in my possession in its manky old case from whence it came, completely unused by me.

When I get my bonus from work I'm looking to invest in a Pentax K-X, but maybe able to use some of the lenses from this old one if I do. Thing is, will they be of any use, and would it be worth refurbing the whole lot, as at the moment it looks like the camera itself is not only vintage, but gives a vintage photo complete with funny marks and all in a light sepier colour!

Its not corrosion on the top of the camera, its dust from the sponge inside the carry case....well it is a bit old.

In the pocket, I found an old list from some sort of pony stallion show, from 1998, which maybe the last time it was used, complete with tiny bits of straw!

You lot of the technical camera ability might laugh, but I kinda like it, have a giggle if you like, it reminds me of a peeping Tom from the 70s!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 05-02-11 at 01:57 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 02:43 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage SLR camera

I still have my old Olympus OM10 (plus lenses) which was my 21st birthday present.

I still love the weight and feel of the old film camera's

Something cool about the black & silver.

The satisfiying clunk of the shutter is something the digitals just can't replicate
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 04:32 PM   #3
TC3

My first dslr was a Pentax. I got many older lenses from ebay which i used on it. You will have to use the lenses in manual mode but if any are A lenses then you can use the aperture priority mode and it makes life a bit simpler. If you remove any filters and then take a pic of the front of the lens so i can see what the writing says in will give you a good idea if any are worth keeping etc.
Old 05-02-11, 05:36 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

ok the Itorex lens says this round the front

ITOREX MC auto zoom 1:35 f=38~70mm no822344 52(circle with slash through that silly laptop dosn't have!)

SMC PENTAX~A 1:2.8 28mm 5136410
(WORD WORN OUT) 49mm Skylight 1B? France

and the great big one is

RMC Tokina FUNNY RED SYMBOL 80-200mm 1:4.5 (symbol)52 8057368
B.W 52E SKY 1A

Old 05-02-11, 08:55 PM   #5
Bluefish

get it serviced dizz, bet it's worth a bob or two.
Old 05-02-11, 09:06 PM   #6
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefishman View Post
get it serviced dizz, bet it's worth a bob or two.

Surprisingly not that much; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-MX-35mm...-/180597058867

Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 10:11 PM   #7
TC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
ok the Itorex lens says this round the front

ITOREX MC auto zoom 1:35 f=38~70mm no822344 52(circle with slash through that silly laptop dosn't have!)

SMC PENTAX~A 1:2.8 28mm 5136410
(WORD WORN OUT) 49mm Skylight 1B? France

and the great big one is

RMC Tokina FUNNY RED SYMBOL 80-200mm 1:4.5 (symbol)52 8057368
B.W 52E SKY 1A
The Itorex is not a well known lens and is a manual lens so not worth much if anything.

The big Tokina should perform ok though again it is a full manual lens. Still can be used like the Itorex on a Pentax dslr but a bit of a hastle.

The Pentax 28mm A series lens allows you to use it on a Pentax dslr using aperture priority mode. Basically the A series can communicate with the camera in regards to the opening and closing of the aperture blades. This makes it easier to use then the other 2. Just pop camera into aperture priority mode and you can control the aperture using the ring around the lens. The camera will automatically set the shutter speed. You will need to manual focus. It is a lens worth hanging onto for sure. The shylight filter wont be much use with digital cameras unless you just want to keep it on to protect the lens. The Pentax lens goes for anywhere between 70 to 100 quid or there abouts on Ebay. I would keep it though as they just keep going up each year. It is a fast 2.8 aperture lens and handy for low light especially with the built in shake reduction on the dslr lenses. Hand holdable low light pics is fun

Last edited by TC3; 05-02-11 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-02-11, 10:17 PM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejayexc View Post
oh I dunno, some of those buy it now prices are rather good
But everyone knows thwy never sell for that much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3 View Post
The Itorex is not a well known lens and is a manual lens so not worth much if anything.

The big Tokina should perform ok though again it is a full manual lens. Still can be used like the Itorex on a Pentax dslr but a bit of a hastle.

The Pentax 28mm A series lens allows you to use it on a Pentax dslr using aperture priority mode. Basically the A series can communicate with the camera in regards to the opening and closing of the aperture blades. This makes it easier to use then the other 2. Just pop camera into aperture priority mode and you can control the aperture using the ring around the lens. The camera will automatically set the shutter speed. You will need to manual focus. It is a lens worth hanging onto for sure.
Thnakyou for the info, so basically, they're only good if it doesn't cost the earth to refurb this one, apart from the Pentax A lens. hmmm roll on next month when the bonus comes in from work then!
I do quite like this little quirky camera, I miss having 'actual photos' sometimes. Perhaps its worth popping into town to the local camera shop which has been there for years and find out how much it will cost to get it back to condition again.

Old 05-02-11, 10:40 PM   #9
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

£0.99
First bid
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 11:01 PM   #10
Bluefish