SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-08-17, 09:05 PM   #4891
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Some a-hole nearby is having a party and it's so loud it's making my windows rattle. Bet the git drives an un-serviced diesel too. I am bloody tired, very grumpy and there's no point getting an early night 'cos of the boom-boom-boom music noise. Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh.
Old 26-08-17, 09:11 PM   #4892
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Always hated diesel, even modern ones can blot the road out when accelerating / changing gear. Just shows how concentrating on one thing (CO2) can lead people to accept the unacceptable aided and abetted by short sighted governments. It's not so much how they got through MOT as why they were allowed on the road in the first place. Another thing that does not show in daylight but shows in following headlights at night is the grey smoke they emit all the time.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-17, 09:41 PM   #4893
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Some a-hole nearby is having a party and it's so loud it's making my windows rattle. Bet the git drives an un-serviced diesel too. I am bloody tired, very grumpy and there's no point getting an early night 'cos of the boom-boom-boom music noise. Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh.
you ride a motorbike you should have ear plugs.. problem solved

i get party's almost every frigging night around here as well as running battles and loud drunken yobs till the we hours. that and the wife wanting the toilet at 3-4am most nights. might be why i'm a mild insomniac and always tired.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-17, 07:58 AM   #4894
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
you ride a motorbike you should have ear plugs.. problem solved
I do indeed have some and if I go to the NEC Bike Show in November I may treat myself to some custom moulded ones which should be comfortable enough for all night use. I find the rubarb and custard ones I use on the bike irritating after a few hours without a break.

Thankfully the inconsiderate revellers took their party indoors by half eleven last night and I dropped off to sleep soon after.

We live close enough to the "student village" for Bucks New Uni that every September when the new intake of freshers arrive we get a couple of bad weeks of constant noise until they realise how quickly they're drinking their funds away and they've had a few visits from the Rozzers. Just around the corner then. Oh goody.
Old 27-08-17, 08:07 AM   #4895
Chris_SVS

Quote:
I do indeed have some and if I go to the NEC Bike Show in November I may treat myself to some custom moulded ones which should be comfortable enough for all night use. I find the rubarb and custard ones I use on the bike irritating after a few hours without a break.

Thankfully the inconsiderate revellers took their party indoors by half eleven last night and I dropped off to sleep soon after.

We live close enough to the "student village" for Bucks New Uni that every September when the new intake of freshers arrive we get a couple of bad weeks of constant noise until they realise how quickly they're drinking their funds away and they've had a few visits from the Rozzers. Just around the corner then. Oh goody.
Those things(rhubarb and custard) are awful. Wore them once in work when my ear defenders broke the moulded ones on cords aren't greatly better and can be too long in some helmets.

I'm wearing Alpine Motosafe Tour currently, reusable,filtered so I can still hear intercom/satnav etc but lose a lot of wind noise
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-17, 08:26 AM   #4896
SV650rules
Mega Poster

You may be better of with the re-usable foam ones, one of the H&S talks I attended (and I actually stayed awake during) mentioned ear infections from using the same earplugs all the time, and using fresh ones each time although better still creates the ideal conditions in the ear canal for bacteria to thrive (which is why in industry its better to use the bigger clip over 'ear defenders' which allow airflow in the ears, but you can't use on a bike).

Soak your custom moulded ones in Milton / Dettol or similar regularly to discourage the bugs.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 27-08-17, 08:41 AM   #4897
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
You may be better of with the re-usable foam ones, one of the H&S talks I attended (and I actually stayed awake during) mentioned ear infections from using the same earplugs all the time, and using fresh ones each time although better still creates the ideal conditions in the ear canal for bacteria to thrive (which is why in industry its better to use the bigger clip over 'ear defenders' which allow airflow in the ears, but you can't use on a bike).

Soak your custom moulded ones in Milton / Dettol or similar regularly to discourage the bugs.
Interesting. My place is very PPE/hearing+HSE oriented, never heard anything like that, makes sense though I suppose.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-17, 10:44 AM   #4898
ethariel

Moulded ones to fit with bluetooth for the satnav if i'm doing any motorway work, Max orange for bimbling about if i remember, commuting nothing.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-17, 11:16 AM   #4899
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Both my AGV and Caberg helmets were pretty quiet when my AL7 was in standard naked form and I was happy not to wear earplugs unless going on motorways, I fitted a fly screen with an upturned lip and wind noise in helmet was horrendous, I chopped the lip off and was a lot quieter, but now have tilted screen flatter and even quieter, but still not as good as no screen - really thinking of taking screen off to get quietness back. A screen can push disturbed air up to helmet level and cause worse wind noise and negate helmet designers careful work to ensure helmet is quiet with smooth airflow coming from straight ahead.

Old 27-08-17, 11:43 AM   #4900
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
y.
I found I couldn't wear my custom fit ones all night, don't know if my ears are very sensitive.

You can get wax earplugs which block out almost everything, although even then nothing blocked out Dicky Tickers snoring

I've used chuck away swimming ear plugs before.

But being half deaf means I sleep to one side and don't hear much, it's stress that gives me a bad night sleep.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote