SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-01-19, 05:37 PM   #6871
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Since seeing what a mess a few mice can cause I take the seat off my SV during winter and move it into house, they love nothing better than a bit of foam to nest in.... if you can spread stuff out on racking or shelves in the garage it beats piling it on floor as they love hiding under stuff. Problem is that once they get into an attached garage they set their little hearts ( and big teeth ) on trying to get into warmer and drier areas.

A tip is that if you think there may be mice around but not sure, just put a little blob of nutella on a thing they can't move ( bit of slate or a stone ) and check it every day to see if bait goes. Another tip is that if traps are light plastic ones rather than a heavier wooden base is to weight the traps down by screwing then to wood or tether them as sometimes if the trap does not catch them cleanly they can drag it away, this is not a frequent happening but it does happen.

Due to fact they were wood mice I tried everything to try and catch them unharmed and relocate them - including a large coffee caffetier with a lid on and a hole in the lid - I put up some books so that mice could get to the top and a blob of nutella in the bottom but every morning the nutella was gone but no mouse, they are amazingly agile. They can walk up walls without breaking stride.

Contrary to popular belief mice prefer chocolate to cheese, and nutella is a mixture of hazelnut and cocoa which they can smell miles away..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 14-01-19 at 07:20 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 08:10 PM   #6872
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I used a humane trap and Fortnum and Mason champagne truffles. What I found though was I had to let them go in another county or the same mice came back each day.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 15-01-19, 09:30 AM   #6873
timwilky
Mega Poster

Got up this morning, went downstairs and made a brew for the wife and I and took them upstairs.
Brew, morning news, turn on the office heater (Thank you mr google) so office warm when I go in, wife left for work and I went for a another brew.

Turned on kettle and go for a wash/teeth. Come back down and kettle cold. Damm. Put it back on the stand, move it between sockets nothing.

Turn on the coffee machine. Nothing. Great check ground floor breaker, tripped, turn it back on, trip. Great lets find the offending item.

So ground floor, garage and office are all off this one breaker. remove all in the house, trip, remove all in the garage trip.

So into office and that electric smell. Yup the office heater. pulled it and the breaker stayed in place.

So recommendations please whats left of the org. What is the most efficient electric heater. Now using a small fan heater until I can grab a replacement and have raised the office to 14.5.

It doesn't need to be fancy control as on/off and temp controls are done through openhab. I even have freeze overide built in so if the office temp drops below 3, the heating comes on and off at 6.

Are those oil filled better than what ever they put into the cheaper non oil radiators? I have to pay the electricity bill (Penalty for a zero cummute, you would think as they have no office bill for me they would pay my home office cost) so efficiency matters.
Old 15-01-19, 09:45 AM   #6874
maviczap
Mega Poster

Oil filled cheaper to run than fan heaters, not sure about the halogen one's.
Just take longer to get the space warm, but if you're starting it remotely then not a problem.
Plus it's on a thermostat, so set it to the temp that's comfortable.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-19, 10:36 AM   #6875
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

As I only work in my home office rarely, mainly when (like now) I am between contracts and searching, I have the greenhouse heater in here with me. Simple fan heater with a thermostat. Goes back into the greenhouse in late spring when the tomatoes arrive.

Not ideal but my study is small and if I keep the door closed it only kicks in every now and then. Good luck with your search Tim.
Old 15-01-19, 01:53 PM   #6876
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
So recommendations please whats left of the org. What is the most efficient electric heater. Now using a small fan heater until I can grab a replacement and have raised the office to 14.5.
according to the chart on this website:

https://www.cse.org.uk/advice/advice...t/room-heaters

a halogen heater is the cheapest to run although they compare a 1.2kW against a 2kW. If you scale up the halogen to 2kW it works out about the same (makes you wonder why they didn't compare apples to apples).

Last edited by Seeker; 15-01-19 at 01:57 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-19, 02:17 PM   #6877
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Halogen warms up quicker. Oil stay warm after you turn them off.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-19, 05:29 PM   #6878
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Wear an extra jumper?

I'll get me coat...

Old 15-01-19, 09:45 PM   #6879
embee
Mega Poster

Following on from the mice posts …………..

The other day it was very mild so opened up the upstairs windows to have an airing. Forgot they were open until early evening, so closed them.
Went to bed and settled down, only to hear a faint rustling type noise. Listened carefully and it came and went again. First thought was mice, so listened very carefully and switched the light on, only to find a bat flying round in circles in the bedroom.
Fortunately it was still fairly mild so opened the windows wide and went back to bed. It obviously found its way out again as no sign in the morning.
Old 16-01-19, 10:05 AM   #6880
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
What is the most efficient electric heater
Heaters are all considered 100% efficient, near as makes no difference. Fan heaters have a fan to drive, but it's a tiny proportion of the power used.

Everything I read when I was buying said they're all the about the same. It's more about where you want to put it. I've always ended up with oil filled radiators as to me they seemed the safest. But then the Chinese started making them...