SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-02-07, 12:23 PM   #1
Kinvig

Default Reccommend me a book

Long train journey tomorrow & there may be down time on hols due to being knackered snow boarding all the time so I need a new book to read.

Probably hard-sci-fi or similar. Fave authors at the mo are:

Peter F Hamilton,
Richard Morgan
China Mieville

I've sort of gone off Alastair Reynolds. & I can't stand Iain M Banks (he just doesn't flow for me).

So any decent books out there? Just finished Evolution by Stephen Baxter. Not bad. Dodgy in parts.

...and if anyone recommends that Dan Brown rubbish I'll hunt you down & feed you to the pigs!

Thanks in advance

Dirk
Old 01-02-07, 12:31 PM   #2
Kylie

Neal Stephenson: Snowcrash or Diamond Age. Great sci-fi.
Anything by Christopher Brookmyre. Excelletnt scottish crime black humour.
Anything by Carl Hiassen. Similar to Brookmyre but Florida crime and usually with an enviromental twist.
Old 01-02-07, 12:35 PM   #3
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
Neal Stephenson: Snowcrash or Diamond Age. Great sci-fi.
Anything by Christopher Brookmyre. Excelletnt scottish crime black humour.
Anything by Carl Hiassen. Similar to Brookmyre but Florida crime and usually with an enviromental twist.

Yeah - read Stephensons' stuff - really good! Quicksilver was long, but worth it.

Will pop down to Border to see this Brookmyre character...!
Old 01-02-07, 12:36 PM   #4
rpwoodman

Clockwork orange
Old 01-02-07, 12:53 PM   #5
Tiger 55

Brookmyre rocks! Start off with Quite Ugly One Morning, it was the first one he had published and hooked me straight away. Exciting plots in glamorous locations and always a dig at Celtic and Rangers...

Alternatively how about Ian Banks without the M? Very exciting to buy because they are a total lucky dip, varying from brilliant (Complicity) to ****e (A Song of Stone) and sometimes both in the same book (The Bridge).

Or, um, maybe something by a non Scottish author...
Old 01-02-07, 01:14 PM   #6
furrybean

Viz?
Old 01-02-07, 01:23 PM   #7
Mr Toad

David Brinn - Earth is a good one off, or try the Uplift series - start with Sundiver - I really enjoyed it - very different from your normal sci-fi (if there is normal sci-fi )

Or try Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
Old 01-02-07, 01:23 PM   #8
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwoodman
Clockwork orange
One of my faves, very clever the way that Burgess makes you like (or at least empathise with) Alex, even though he is an evil little scumbag.
Old 01-02-07, 01:28 PM   #9
robaker

I also vote for Neal Stephenson. I liked Snowcrash more than Diamond Age. Cryptonomicon was also good - fiction rather than Sci Fi, but I still liked it.
Old 01-02-07, 02:18 PM   #10
Kylie

I'm working my way through Stephenson's Baroque cycle trilogy at the moment, they are brilliant books but very demanding, there's so much going on that if you leave it alone for a few weeks its hard to get back in to. After a year or so I've made it to book three now...