SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-04-15, 01:51 PM   #91
SvNewbie

Default Re: Test ride challenge

I'd forgotten about the V-Strom 1000. Not immediately in the market for a new bike but certainly thinking about it for the start of next year. Certainly looks like a nice bike in that photo. May have to try and arrange a spin on one.
Old 08-04-15, 03:04 PM   #92
Heorot

I'm 5'10" and I also could barely touch the ground on tiptoe on the V-Strom. I thought I was going to fall off in the car park before I moved off. Twice.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 08:53 PM   #93
L3nny
Mega Poster

Pictures added

Just gone to the start of this thread, it's taken me 4 years to do half as many bikes and miles as SH so I guess challenge failed.

Still had fun though.
Old 10-04-15, 08:09 PM   #94
L3nny
Mega Poster

3 Test rides today, write up coming soon
Old 11-04-15, 02:30 AM   #95
L3nny
Mega Poster

Test 19 - 2009 KTM 990 SMT 34 Miles – Total Mileage 534

Fresh from the GS and the V-Strom I am still going through an adventure bike phase, as I said in my 950 SM test I have also really liked the idea of a Supermoto. Riding a KTM dirt bike in Spain reinforced that.

The KTM SMT seems like a perfect bike, all the fun of a Supermoto and the practicality of a tourer.

Unfortunately it fails on both counts, while the engine is fun and pulls really hard from low down in the revs it's too vibey and you still have to change gear a lot, which brings you on to the next problem, the gearbox is crap. You have to move the gear lever way too much and way too often you'd hit a false neutral. There is too much engine braking as well and the wind protection is pretty non existent.

Handling wise, it's not as precise as the Vstrom or the GS, It's a bit top heavy and the tyres on the bike I tested were starting to square off a bit resulting in the bike tipping in too fast to slow corners.

Equipment wise, well there isn't much, it's an improvement on the 950 in that there is a rev counter but not much else. This bike had heated grips but I'm pretty sure they were aftermarket, if not I'd be worried as they looked like the cheapest ebay specials I've ever seen.

The SMT on new tyres would be a laugh to chuck about but it's no tourer. I'd rather tour on my Fireblade.

On the plus side the suspension was capable, I went down some pretty rough roads and it soaked them up. The Brembo brakes were awesome as well.

Last edited by L3nny; 11-04-15 at 02:32 AM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 02:55 AM   #96
L3nny
Mega Poster

Test 20 - 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCX 28 Miles – Total Mileage 562

I've never really been attracted by the Tiger 800, It looks boring and like it's pretending to be something it's not. When I spoke to the dealer about the KTM being a bit old fashioned and unsophisticated he persuaded me to take this out saying it's full of the latest technology.

He was telling the truth, the suspension on the XCX is sublime, it soaks up all the bumps with ease, the handling is completely neutral and the weight is well disguised allowing you to throw it about with ease.

The XCX is fully loaded as well, ABS, Traction Control with loads of settings, Cruise control, and heated grips. This bike also had an Arrow exhaust but the baffle was in so was almost silent.

I haven't ridden a Triple since the 675 way back at the start of this thread and I didn't realise how smooth they are, you hardly know the bike is moving when you open the throttle. Unfortunately you also don't realise how fast you're going because you're not going very fast. The 800 engine is gutless, as this is a bike that's supposed to be used two up with luggage it's seriously under powered.

The brakes were awful as well, almost dangerously so, I rounded a bend to be confronted with a tractor and a little bit of poo came out when I grabbed a big handful of nothing.

As a bike for a new rider or someone who just want's to potter about this would be ideal, if it wasn't so tall and heavy.

This is exactly what I expected this class of bike to be like before I rode the GS, comfortable, predictable, lots of technology but dull. The XCX might be good off road but these are road tests so can't comment on that.

The XCX is pretty expensive too, to get one at the spec I rode it's almost 12k.

Last edited by L3nny; 11-04-15 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 03:23 AM   #97
L3nny
Mega Poster

Test 21 - 2012 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE 33 Miles – Total Mileage 535

Complain about the 800 not having enough power and the dealer got me on to the 1050, they didn't have the new 1050 sport which is what I really wanted to try so they put me on a used 1050 SE they had knocking about.

Although the newer Tigers don't appeal to the original always has, it doesn't pretend to have any off road capabilities it's just a comfy old fashioned tourer with a big torquey engine, 17" wheels, road tyres, huge panniers and a commanding riding position.

I thought I was getting used to these big bikes but the Tiger 1050 felt huge and unlike the others it still felt huge on the road, mainly because of the huge panniers sticking out the sides, you're always aware of it's girth when filtering.

After getting a bit flustered in town I was glad to get the Tiger 1050 onto a twisty country road and see what it was like at higher speeds, as with the 800 the engine is silky smooth and the whole underwhelming feeling was happening all over again.

After riding a 7 mile stretch of Bedfordshire which I have done many times on a few different bikes I was less than impressed so I turned around and headed back to the dealer, as I was riding back I remembered what the dealer said about undercover police in the area so the whole way back I kept one eye on the speedo. That was when my perception of the Tiger 1050 changed, I couldn't believe the speeds I was taking the corners at! I was having so much fun I turned around and did the stretch a again.

When people say something wafts, this is what they mean, hardly any input from the steering is required and you don't really need to slow down, just think about going around the bend and you're out the other side with no fuss, no hanging off like a loon, just waft about.

The Tiger is showing it's age a bit though, it's got ABS and heated grips but that's it, no TC, no riding modes, no gear indicator, it doesn't even have a clock! The clutch is really heavy as well and there is a little delay between twisting the throttle and anything happening which was annoying.

This is a seriously capable tourer, not quite as exciting as the GS or Vstrom but as a way of getting from one place to another in comfort, with a pillion and enough luggage space for all her crap it's probably the fastest thing I've experienced.

The brakes are better than on the 800, not as good as other bikes though, not sure what it is with Triumphs, maybe It's just me.

The previous owner of this bike had showered it with goodies over it's lifetime and when I was offered a near-as-makes-no-difference straight swap for the Blade I was very tempted.

Last edited by L3nny; 11-04-15 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 09:01 AM   #98
SUPERSTARDJ01

I'm testing and 848 streetfighter tomorrow, can't wait.
Old 11-04-15, 10:51 AM   #99
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I got offered the chance to try a Yamaha MT-09 and declined, I'm scared that I'll like it and that I'll want it because I don't really have the cash for a second bike and still love the street. (and they ain't really that different to justify it either)

L3nny your appraisal of the Tiger was exactly the opinion I had of it when I got a test ride a few years ago. it wafted along quick smart but lacked something for me.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )

Last edited by carelesschucca; 11-04-15 at 10:53 AM.
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 12:05 PM   #100
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
I got offered the chance to try a Yamaha MT-09 and declined, I'm scared that I'll like it and that I'll want it because I don't really have the cash for a second bike and still love the street. (and they ain't really that different to justify it either)

L3nny your appraisal of the Tiger was exactly the opinion I had of it when I got a test ride a few years ago. it wafted along quick smart but lacked something for me.
I'm trying to sort a ride on the new MT09 tracer. My local dealer was a bit snotty when I called this morning though, said I'd have to go through all the figures first and the test ride is "the last piece of the puzzle" err no, it's the first piece!

The Tiger is definitely lacking in the excitement area but sometimes that's not a bad thing

Last edited by L3nny; 11-04-15 at 12:07 PM.