SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-09-18, 10:31 AM   #1571
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All new Reeder Megathread

i have contacted the seller to ask where to send the item. the item was a fly tying vice that was £60 and no outer sealed box so they will be able to sell it on.

i went out last sunday to the fishing megastore in edin to get a few bits and bobs and while there i had a good look/feel of the vices on offer, they were all what i would class as "poser tools" they look nice but in reality not really that well made for tying flies and not what i wanted.. that includes vices at £500+

i have three choices for a new vice. cave in and spend the £400 odd on a nor-vise system (which still is not ideal) or go down the workshop and make one or keep using the POS i have at the moment.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-18, 10:38 AM   #1572
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Workshop it is then. You know you like making stuff anyway, just a small matter of finding the time.
Old 22-09-18, 10:48 AM   #1573
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup its the time that bothers me.

in reality the nor-vise is ideal but its the jaws that need modifying but i could live with it no problem. out of the whole thing its the jaws that are the hard part to make.
Old 22-09-18, 11:00 AM   #1574
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Real flyers don't need a vice
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-18, 02:36 PM   #1575
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
yup its the time that bothers me.

in reality the nor-vise is ideal but its the jaws that need modifying but i could live with it no problem. out of the whole thing its the jaws that are the hard part to make.
Perhaps you just identified a gap in the market
Old 22-09-18, 09:14 PM   #1576
Bibio
Mega Poster

there is a gap but the market is full of snobbery.

it could be the worst vice out there but if costs a fortune then it must be good... then you have the yanks that wont buy anything unless its made in yankiland.

its pretty much the fly fishing scene in recent years. they go out and buy all the top gear costing thousands just to be part of a group and much the same thing as the biking community these days.
Old 23-09-18, 05:54 AM   #1577
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:

its pretty much the fly fishing scene in recent years. they go out and buy all the top gear costing thousands just to be part of a group and much the same thing as the biking community these days.
Same with cycling, spend thousands on the most expensive bike, must have deep carbon wheels, Rapha jerseys and chase those Strava segments.

These are the guys who don't say good morning or hi when I see them out on their bikes, they've never raced properly, and wouldn't join a club just their own little Strava chasing group.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 06:45 AM   #1578
garynortheast
Mega Poster

There's a certain amount of that in running too, although for some reason a it's not so evident amongst trail runners and particularly absent in the canicross scene.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 06:52 AM   #1579
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Photography too. I catch myself looking at which model of Canon or Nikon is hanging round someone's neck but then I'm not that fussed about having the best of everything as long as I'm enjoying it. You do see people with 5D4's and L lenses taking mundane snaps and you do wonder why spend thousands to do that when a reasonable compact would work just as well.
Old 23-09-18, 09:52 AM   #1580
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
there is a gap but the market is full of snobbery.

it could be the worst vice out there but if costs a fortune then it must be good... then you have the yanks that wont buy anything unless its made in yankiland.

Same in Golf, people rock up in all the Callaway or Ping gear, with a remote controlled electric trolley the size of a smart car and play like 5hite, then you get the old guy with a small carry bag with half a set of irons and a three wood ( no driver - a flash driver can cost as much as a set of irons ) and blitzes the course. There is a saying in golf 'driver for show, putter for dough' ..... (no good getting onto the green in 2 shots and then take 4 or 5 putts ). There is another saying in golf that covers other sports / hobbies, 'all the gear and no idea'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote