SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 16-04-16, 08:48 PM   #571
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Up to you, I could fix it at X only so no M or self-timer and you could put the rest of it back together but you'd have to collimate it. I hardly ever use the self-timer anyway and some people don't on old cameras in case it jams then you're fairly buggered. First time I've seen bent bits inside. There are a good few of these around (many with meters), I daresay many of them need a clean, I haven't had a look yet at the Ikonta 35 I've got on the shelf, similar but folding.

Got my latest pix back. Some good ones (plus some crap ones) from the Pentax f1.2 50mm lens, will have to get around to scanning a few. It should be 2.5 stops brighter than an f2.8 but it seems like more. Also the ye olde film that was in the Certo folding camera when I bought it, I got it developed only as I didn't know if there would be anything on it. Two original pictures, gap in the middle where it was sat for years, then the ones I took, a bit dim but will try to scan the negatives to see if they're usable. I'm going to get the first two printed and send them off to the people I bought the camera from. It was the lady's grandfather, though she was in her 50s I guess. The film was Kodak Verichrome "safety" film i.e. little or no response to red light, made from 1931 until about 1953. The camera dates from 1937, so God knows how old the film is. Later rather than earlier I suspect, from the pictures. I got the backing paper back, might use it for something arty farty.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-16, 08:50 PM   #572
Kenzie

What would cause the defect on this shot rainbow above the arch:

Taken with spare OM10

Sent from my Xperia T

Last edited by Kenzie; 16-04-16 at 09:03 PM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-16, 08:52 PM   #573
Kenzie

Post up the shots. Wouldn't be able collimate it myself. Can send you the front plate if I find it. I never touch the self timers as they are more hassle than they are worth. Off to the boot sale tomorrow for some camera hunting. I found some verichrome in the Kodak Vecta. Had someone's grab and dog on it.

Sent from my Xperia T

Last edited by Kenzie; 16-04-16 at 09:12 PM.
Old 17-04-16, 09:13 AM   #574
Kenzie

Just found the front plate for the Contina. I wouldn't worry about fixing it, seeing as the view finder is missing and the availability of other cameras. You can keep it if you want? I will send the front plate if you wanted to put it back together?
Going for a walk in Woodbridge and along the river Deben today so I am going to have a medium format day. Taking the Kodak Starflash, Ansco Speedex and the Diana F+ to get some landscape and river shots.

This group may interest you Johnny: https://www.flickr.com/groups/verichrome/

Last edited by Kenzie; 17-04-16 at 09:52 AM.
Old 17-04-16, 08:30 PM   #575
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Not sure about the rainbow, sure you don't have any light leaks? Could be a sliver, diffracting, but seems unlikely. Were they both with the same lens?

Up to you about the Contina, I can fix it on X only and put it back together, you'd have to figure out a viewfinder, but you could attach an accessory rangefinder and use that, or there are some accessory viewfinders, and figure out who good the coverage is. If you want to then put the plate in the post, if not I'll just put it to one side.

Any scores at the flea market?

Flickr group - thanks. Might see if someone could date the film. I scanned a few from the Pentax:
Tilly by John Rodriguez, on Flickr
Swing2 by John Rodriguez, on Flickr
Ana in furs by John Rodriguez, on Flickr
The last one really shows the bokeh of this lens, i.e. how it renders the out-of-focus bits. Actually looks loads better on the print, seems to have gone a bit blurry(er). The large aperture enabled me to get pics I wouldn't normally be able to - the dog was at 1/30th, if this were f2.8 it'd be a shutter speed of 1/4 and I'd need a tripod and a miracle.

My wife suggested using our ipad as a light box so I managed some less-crap scans of the Verichrome. It confirmed really what I knew, the reciprocity failure went up enormously and only a few are worth printing. Will get them done in due course though. I don't bother with post-processing so don't really need a negative scanner, I guess it's not so good at print scanning either though even at 1200dpi so maybe I'll think about it for Christmas!
Old 17-04-16, 08:48 PM   #576
Kenzie

I'll post you the front plate. I have an add on rangefinder that I can use. Got some film to send off. Great shots by the way. Let me know how much return postage will be. Didn't g in the end to the boot sale.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Last edited by Kenzie; 17-04-16 at 08:49 PM.
Old 17-04-16, 09:36 PM   #577
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Spotted a job lot of basically garbage on Gumtree, had a few moments of excitement as there was a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta B in there, but on closer inspection it's properly scrap. Poo.

Don't worry about postage, I've got a Vito!
Old 17-04-16, 09:51 PM   #578
Kenzie

Have you played with it yet? Verichrome dates from 1931-1956. Would be interested in seeing the scans.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Last edited by Kenzie; 17-04-16 at 09:58 PM.
Old 18-04-16, 06:13 AM   #579
Kenzie

I have packed up the faceplate and will post today. I also found a shutter pin and it is in the blue electrical tape.
Old 18-04-16, 10:30 AM   #580
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Cool ta. No, not looked at the Vito yet. My dad is coming from Spain in a few days and I found I may have mucked up the collimation of my Mess Ikonta, so I want to look at that as well. Something funny about figuring out where the film plane lies in some Ikontas, at least I remember I adjusted it 3" closer at 5ft so I could just adjust it back. Most of the time I was using quite small apertures anyway so it's almost a moot point but I'd rather be sure of what I've done.