SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-12-07, 01:21 PM   #1
Ceri JC

Default TomTom Rider mount defect?

I'm on my second Tom tom Rider now and both have broken in the same way, which leads me to believe there may be a fault in the design.

I have been mounting it on the bars using the sort of "stalk" that ends with the ball and socket joint. The end that touches to the bars being cut down a bit to allow it to fit on the RHS clip on. Over time the two halves (seperated by a rubber seal) of the cradle/bike charger (bit the wire goes into) have come apart as the plastic has sheared. At first they come loose and the charger ceases working intermittantly, before giving up completey.

Both have been used for 7000-10,000 miles before failure. Anyone else experienced this?

I'm off down halfwits to change my current one, but am a bit concerned the same will just happen to this one.

Oh and before any of the anti-gps clowns turn up, I use my mine responsibly, need it for my job and it has already paid for itself 5 times over in terms of time, fuel and general aggro saved.
Old 03-12-07, 01:28 PM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: TomTom Rider mount defect?

I thought they were famous for breaking, throwing the tom tom out
Old 03-12-07, 02:18 PM   #3
Ceri JC

It's not the actual tomtom- that bit still worked fine in both cases, this is just the thing that holds it/charges it on the bike. Just returned it to halfwits only to be told there was no refund on any GPS and it was a repair only. Annoyingly, they reckon 6-8 weeks and the most likely result is they will just ship me a new one of the knackered component. In the interim I won't be able to charge the tomtom on the bike, which is annoying when going to Scotland (from south wales).
Old 07-12-07, 06:01 PM   #4
freakin it

yeah, i think the mounts are rubbish. same thing happened to mine - X2

didnt bother taking it back to halfrauds - contacted tomtom direct. sent the cradle away, they sent back new ones both times - they dont bother repairing them. does take a few weeks though.