SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-04-11, 03:51 PM   #1
curvyben

Default tomtom urban rider europe SV mount

Hi Guys, hope your all well and had a good easter.

I'm looking at buying a tomtom urban rider europe and am wondering if any of you can shed some light on weather it will fit a 2001 curvy. I cant get a detailed enough look at the fixings on the tomtom website. There doesnt seem to be alot of space on the handlebars of my bike to fit a wide bracket. Any info on anyone who has one or has seen one on an SV would be much appreciated.
ta
Ben
curvy by name, curvy by nature
Old 28-04-11, 07:32 AM   #2
mikerj

Default Re: tomtom urban rider europe SV mount

Naked or faired bike (i.e. does it have clip ons?). If you have clipons, the best solution (IMO) is to fit the stem nut from a GSXR and use a proper stem mount
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-11, 08:45 AM   #3
-Ralph-

Yes, I bought one of these a few weeks ago and have it fitted to a Triumph Daytona and and XT600. It has a ram mount that can either be fitted to bars or your clutch lever bracket and will fit 99% of bikes.

Assuming you are looking at the latest V3 model, the mount doesn't connect to the battery and charge the Sat Nav, that is a separate accessory at about £40 quid and is called an "Active Mount", but the battery lasts more than 8 hours anyway, and if the battery is on charge all the time it will stop holding a charge and become useless, you need to charge and drain a battery in order to maintain it. I might get an Active Mount for a trip to Portugal this year, but I'll have it running via a switch, so I can have it on charge one day, and draining the battery the next.

You can't charge using the USB cable whilst it's mounted to the bike, the little flap on the bottom where the USB port is, won't open whilst on the mount, the Active Mount is the only way to do this. This is basically to keep the unit waterproof.

You also get a USB cable and 240v to USB adaptor in the box and thats it, but then it's about £100 quid cheaper than the V2 model, so you just buy the accessories you need instead of getting it all in the box. There is no car mount, so you might want to buy a windscreen sucker to ram ball adaptor from ebay if you want to use it in a car.

Once you have it download TomTom Home software and update you maps and speed cameras, and download a piece of software called Tyre, which can create TomTom Itinerary files to let you plan and download ride-out routes.

If you want a good price on one (I paid £213), see this thread http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=164903

Enjoy!

Last edited by -Ralph-; 28-04-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 28-04-11, 08:55 AM   #4
curvyben

Cheers for the info guys, last night i spoke to Bob at telfreizer, apparently he can sell me a mount which bolts to the yok, so that satnav is in the middle and not on the handlbars at all.

Ben
Old 28-04-11, 08:57 AM   #5
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvyben View Post
Cheers for the info guys, last night i spoke to Bob at telfreizer, apparently he can sell me a mount which bolts to the yok, so that satnav is in the middle and not on the handlbars at all.

Ben
Yep, you can get those for any RAM mounted device if you want that. If you use a tank bag though, just be sure your tank bag doesn't obscure your view of the sat nav.
Old 28-04-11, 01:23 PM   #6
mikerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvyben View Post

Ben
Yes, a stem mount as I linked to in my post! You will need a GSXR nut though (or modify the steel SV item to remove the dome).
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote