SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-12-04, 10:54 AM   #1
The Mass

Default Number Plates & The Law

HI all,

Contemplating changing my number plate, for one with a slogan There's loads of places on the web that you can order on line from, however, they all state that it's against the law???
When checking the DVLA web site, it occurs to me that, actually it's not against the law, but its a "British Standard" that you must have the name of the palce that has made the plate, and the BS ** 14d on the plate and nothing else.

According to the DVLA site, the law states that the numbers and letters must be the correct way round, and none reflective, and correct font.

Any ideas anyone - cos i'd really love to have my slogan plate :P

Cheers - Mass

apologies - I know this has been asked 10000's of times, I have searched the forum, but trundled through loads.
Old 29-12-04, 11:02 AM   #2
Cloggsy

I've got an 8" x 6" plate on mine, which is smaller, but not taking the p155... Come MOT time, I will have to get a 9" x 7" plate again... The lovely people at DVLA have standardised everything, so anything with isn't 'Standard' is illegal

Keep your old plate & get y'self a smaller one... You'll just have to swap it over when the time comes, then swap it back

Beware, Ol' Bill can 'have' you for a smaller plate... So be careful
Old 29-12-04, 11:10 AM   #3
Mr Toad

Just buy one - with a Hammicad tail on the bike, the standard number plate looked daft

This is 7.5 by 5"

Work out what size you want first - try measuring it on a piece of paper so you can visualise what it looks like - the first one I ordered turned up looking like a postage stamp (7" by 4.5"), and I would'nt have felt happy with it, so I ordered another slightly bigger - an extra 1/2 inch all round
got it from www.malplates.co.uk

I ride past lots of cops going into central London everyday, and have never had a problem, however it may be a bit different out in the sticks

cheers
Old 29-12-04, 12:29 PM   #4
Balky001
Mega Poster

The Mass

It does state that there should be no other markings on the plate except for those you already mentioned so it would be against the regulations to have a little ditty, as would be having a single line number plates or characters smaller than the dimensions stated by the DVLA. I've never been pulled for not having the BS mark or plate's makers name and address on my bike, so I doubt that you would be pulled just for having a slogan, as long as its discreet. But small plates you will get pulled by the old Bill, regardless of having a slogan or not.
Old 29-12-04, 12:42 PM   #5
jonboy

Traffic police won't do you for a slogan (providing it's not offensive) but they will for an incorrect sized plate or non-conforming letters.

I keep my original 9x7 in my backpack so that I can offer to instantly swap it over and hopefully placate them.

At the end of the day you're likely to get a £30 fine if the officer at hand has got out of bed the wrong way so simply factor that in to the cost of your plate.

Providing your plate isn't so small that it's taking the p*ss then if you have the right attitude and are polite you're likely to get nothing more than a caution/producer etc.

Old 29-12-04, 12:54 PM   #6
fraser01

i have posted the regs on this subject a number of times..

unfortunately i am now off to work,

so you can look through my history or

check

http://www.malplates.co.uk/law.html

regards

Fraser
Old 29-12-04, 12:57 PM   #7
fraser01

although i will add that when i give a ticket for a plate that does not conform, i give a £30 ticket, take a photo and send that to DVLA....if you get stopped again with a small plate, the same procedure is carried out and DVLA can/will withdraw your registration.

Regards

Fraser
Old 29-12-04, 01:07 PM   #8
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser01
unfortunately i am now off to work
You don't mean "unfortunately", do you?

At least a small number plate isn't a 3pt endorsement............
Old 29-12-04, 01:19 PM   #9
BURNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser01

although i will add that when i give a ticket for a plate that does not conform, i give a £30 ticket, take a photo and send that to DVLA....if you get stopped again with a small plate, the same procedure is carried out and DVLA can/will withdraw your registration.
The lesson is, don't get caught
Old 29-12-04, 01:36 PM   #10
Wiltshire7

Quote:
The lesson is, don't get caught
seems simple enough to me. whenever u see a police car, ride as fast as the bike will allow! not giving them time to get ur details. or u can ride as fast as u can, seeing how long u can go without using the brake. this will no doubt impress them u r of a standard of riding above the norm and let u off

dont blame me if it doesnt work though