SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-03-06, 12:45 PM   #1
Dreadhead

Default 2001 sv650 engine problems, help needed

iv got a 2001 suzuki sv650s and it seems every time i wash it the engine starts to play up i think theres water some where in the electrics which is making my front cylinder not fire i thought it might be water sitting in the cylinder top where the spark plug seats i try'ed to dry it out the best i could but it made no difference at all

after washing the bike i run it for about 20minuits while i do the chain then i ran it for 30 mins on my way home after work and it seemed fine but when i came to it the next morning it would'nt run properly at all

has anyone got any ideas what it could be or do you think i could still has some water residue on the spark plug cap

thanks,
kenny
Old 15-03-06, 01:04 PM   #2
instigator

When you tried drying it out, did you take the HT lead off and remove any moisture of that? No little drain hole that's blocked?
Old 15-03-06, 01:14 PM   #3
Dreadhead

i took the cap all the way off then put some tissue papper in to try and dry it out if i use some WD40 do u think that would do the trick at all

as for drain plugs i didnt know there was any there where abouts are they so i can check there not blocked?
Old 15-03-06, 01:21 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

I don't think it'll be the usual front plug thing... Unless you're seriously blasting the front of the engine with a powerwasher or similiar, it just shouldn't get that wet (unless the seal's missing). I reckon you mighht well have a problem further back, at the coil end.If you hose or pressure wash the side of the bike and there's a bad connection in there, it wouldn't take much water to mayeb cause a problem.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-06, 01:24 PM   #5
Dreadhead

i did use a preassure wash but on the lowist setting so not much pressure was there. how would u suject i sort it if it is the coil
Old 15-03-06, 01:42 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Not really sure to be honest. The front coil is down the left hand side of the engine, bolted to the frame- The wiring routes round the front and left of the frame, I think, and then down. So, I'd be checking the wiring for holes, and the coil connections for, well connection. Damage, fitment, corrosion. Maybe get in there with some silicon grease to give it better insulation.

But then, before i did that I'd speak to some of the various people on the forum that are better with electrical stuff... I know the basics, and I can fix a problem when I can find it, but that's really the limit. Electrics are always a sod, especialyl since they tend to be intermittant and hard to trace.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote