SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 02-11-10, 04:09 PM   #41
-Ralph-

Default Re: My new bike workshop

I work from home, and when we have finally sold our house in Scotland and bought a house down here, I'm having one of these, which will be insulated and fitted with a storage heater (and a sofa bed, a fridge, a big TV, and a satellite dish!).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garden-Office-/110522715457

Last edited by -Ralph-; 02-11-10 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 04:11 PM   #42

i look it at two ways... 185ft of cable is going to be 100£ or there abouts, the ****ing about digging it in to 400mm... £100 for the mini digger for the day. or break your back doing it..

sod that tbh..

I imagine a voltage drop like that could have an effect on electric motors that he may run and it will definatly have enough of an effect to stop fluorescent tubes starting..
Old 02-11-10, 04:21 PM   #43
-Ralph-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wolf-WP1250-4-...-/260485380289

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wolf-WP3100-Ge...-/370450711126

I nearly bought one of these, cos the house we are renting has a detached row of garages away from the house, and I didn't think they had power (it does, but only our garage as it's the closest to the house and the landlord installed an armoured cable under the garden, but the neighbours garages don't)

Costs about £1.50 an hour in fuel at 1/2 load (10 hours from a 15 litre tank), but you'd need to be running an electric heater on it to be reaching half load, if you are only drawing 100w most of the time it would only be ticking over and I don't know how much longer a tank of fuel would last. For heating there is always gas bottle heaters or parrafin heaters.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 02-11-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 04:25 PM   #44
Owenski

bloody hell ralph, I built mine for less than that thing costs!mines built out of blocks/bricks including a 1.6m high retaining wall running 7metre. and I redered the top 2/3rds of it. £!800 for a timber shell seems extausionate.
You/ll have a cncrete footing to pay for to erect that too, bespoke masonry all the way for me mate.
Old 02-11-10, 04:33 PM   #45
Specialone

TBH, i could build one out of bricks with a tiled roof in my sleep, but i dont particulary want a great big brick building in my small garden.
Im gonna build a log cabin style games room with decent wood shiplap or log effect boards and im hoping to do the lot for £1000 inc base, which im gonna build on to a brick damp so that the wood is at least 6 inches away from the ground.
Col, if you wanna build your own, i could help.
Old 02-11-10, 04:37 PM   #46
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
185FT of amoured cable... bloody hell..

I imagine the voltage drop would warrant a generator tbh?

good effort though.. i built mine from wood..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
bloody hell ralph, I built mine for less than that thing costs!mines built out of blocks/bricks including a 1.6m high retaining wall running 7metre. and I redered the top 2/3rds of it. £!800 for a timber shell seems extausionate.
You/ll have a cncrete footing to pay for to erect that too, bespoke masonry all the way for me mate.
OK. Will keep that in mind then. Suppose it depends on the planning permission rules where you live. In Scotland I had to have a prefabricated concrete garage, as my conservatory and garage were going to take up greater than the percentage of my garden than the planning office would allow, so I just got planning permission for the conservatory, then built a pre-fabricated garage, which was classed as a temporary building so didn't need permission.

For those reasons I had kind of dismissed building something solid, but Paiste didn't need planning permission for his. Maybe a re-think when the time comes.

Have you got any pic's of yours?

Paiste, how much did your's cost if you don't mind me asking?

If I built something solid, I'd need to plasterboard the interior and insulate. How much would doors and windows for a solid built building cost?
Old 02-11-10, 04:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
OK. Will keep that in mind then. Suppose it depends on the planning permission rules where you live. In Scotland I had to have a prefabricated concrete garage, as my conservatory and garage were going to take up greater than the percentage of my garden than the planning office would allow, so I just got planning permission for the conservatory, then built a pre-fabricated garage, which was classed as a temporary building so didn't need permission.

For those reasons I had kind of dismissed building something solid, but Paiste didn't need planning permission for his. Maybe a re-think when the time comes.

If I built something solid, I'd need to plasterboard the interior and insulate. How much would doors and windows for a solid built building cost?
doors & windows you pays ur moneys and takes your choice

UPVC window from B&Q 800 x 800 £90

Door from online UPVC supplier cheap as you like from £250 delivered.

timber then your talking more money
Old 02-11-10, 04:45 PM   #48
Specialone

Quote:

I could get you the windows and doors at trade price, if your clever and build it to accomodate off the shelf sizes, it dramatically reduces the cost.

Edit, i wouldnt touch anything like that from B&Q, they sell junk, end of.

Last edited by Specialone; 02-11-10 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 04:46 PM   #49
-Ralph-

Cheers Phil, similarly, you'll get help with the labouring for your games room, when the time comes.

One of the homeworkers in Mawsley has built a similar kind of log cabin/super shed in his garden, but he put a proper tiled roof the same as his house on it. I pointed it out to a neighbour and commented that I would like something like that when we bought a house and he told me that he's being told to take it down because it's been deemed as a permanent structure without planning permission, this was confirmed by a few others that were standing nearby in the bar. The thought is that if he'd left a felt tile roof, they wouldn't have seen it as being "permanent", but the proper roof has taken it past just being a shed. It could be untrue though, you know how villagers like to gossip in the pub.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 02-11-10 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 04:53 PM   #50
speedplay

Quote:
The thought is that if he'd left a felt tile roof, they wouldn't have seen it as being "permanent", but the proper roof has taken it past just being a shed. It could be untrue though, you know how villagers like to gossip in the pub.

I've heard that before.

Sheds are not supposed to be built to last.

Good job I built mine from the outside in then

Are you up at mawsley village then Col?