SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-05-07, 06:21 PM   #1
Warren

Default my first trackday booked

brands hatch 18/6

as title says, im looking forward to it and nervous at the same time.
anyone got any advice for me.

one thing has worried me though, there is a 102db limit, and ive lost a circlip that holds my baffle in on my blueflame can,

do you recon it would be too loud ? or do you recon it would be ok ?

anyone fancy lending me the circlip for it for a few days ?

thanks
Warren
Old 31-05-07, 06:21 PM   #2
Warren

Default Re: my first trackday booked

woohoo, 5000 posts
Old 31-05-07, 06:38 PM   #3
Balky001
Mega Poster

I would think you can is OK, some of the bikes are pretty loud there.

first track days are so good, always better than you think and the nerves soon go 9but you have to have them or its not so special!). good luck and enjoy
Old 31-05-07, 06:39 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

I got 2 SV trackbikes, both with standard downpipes and cheap Scorpion race cans.

They are both under the 102db limit, one is 99, the other is 101. But remember it is a logarithmic scale, so 102 is quite a bit louder than 101!!

So don't frett about the can. My mates Duke 996 was obnoxious and was summin like 111db?? and they still let him out!!

As for tips, take a bottle of water with you and keep hydrated during the day. I drink the tap water there from the garages and it is fine if you are tight like me!! ... that's a little unfair on myself, I'd just rather spend my cash on stuff like tracktime than £2 a bottle MSV bottled water

So a bottle for water and a tyre pressure guage, a foot-pump too. Let your tyres down to ~32 front, 30 rear (cold). And re-inflate to road pressures come home time

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 31-05-07 at 06:46 PM.
Old 31-05-07, 06:43 PM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

You should be ok noise wise.

For your first track day I'd say you should just treat it as a fast sunday ride. You'll be too busy thinking "whoo, wee! I'm on a race track!" for you to think in too much depth about lines, braking points, body position, where you're looking etc etc.

Make sure you're bikes in good nick, and enjoy
Old 31-05-07, 06:51 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
Make sure you're bikes in good nick, and enjoy
Thats a good point, check and lube your chain. If you haven't got new tyres on your bike then fit some. Not only will it heighten your enjoyment on the day and further reduce the risk off an off, but you get to run cool 'chewed' tyres for the rest of their road-life

Oh and its not like you will be wearing them out as the middle bits that get used most on the road, they come away pretty much untouched!! Its a win win win with new tyres!!
Old 31-05-07, 06:58 PM   #7
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Let your tyres down to ~32 front, 30 rear (cold).
Old 31-05-07, 07:00 PM   #8
Warren

ok cool,
i got contri road attacks at the moment, they still got half their life left in the centre, but nearly untouched around the sides. so i recon i will keep them ones on, there is plenty of grip on them on roads, so there should be even more on the track im guessing.
Old 31-05-07, 07:09 PM   #9
MiniMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
'Cos they heat up on the track a lot more, ie. back up to road pressures.
Old 31-05-07, 07:37 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
'Cos they heat up on the track a lot more, ie. back up to road pressures.
Yeah, that's the gist of it ...

i.e. the extra heat generated at the track heats the tyres and in turn that heats the air inside. That air expands, increasing the pressure. By reducing the start pressure you end up with the optimum pressure or there abouts If you don't let them down you end up with them being too high a pressure when hot, that means - you are 'gonna have a bad time' !!

Please note the REAR IS LOWER PRESSURE THAN THE FRONT, that wasn't a mistake. Again as the rear gets more heat, it needs to be lower initial pressure still.

Actually as it your first day, perhaps run 33f 31r. I run 31f 29r on my SVs. ... at the end of the day it isn't an exact science, but you will need to let them down quite a bit from road pressures!!