SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-01-20, 12:51 PM   #1
aesmith

Default Intermittent Starter Problem - 650 Pointy

Hi,

I've been having a few issues recently where the starter doesn't work until I switch off and back on a few times, either the ignition or the stop switch. It varies - Monday morning it needed several tries, Monday on the way home just two, then at the petrol station it took 1/2 a dozen attempts. This morning it just needed one.

There's no error indication and the bike makes it's normal noises when the FI initialises. It's just that pressing the starter button has no effect other then to switch headlights off.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

I'm hoping to be able to check along the circuit in the next few days, but if there's anything that's easy to check it would be good to start there.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 03:50 PM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Intermittent Starter Problem - 650 Pointy

I'd put money on it being the clutch switch, mine started to **** about and button pushing and wiggling things/swearing followed.
I bypassed the switch after advice from here (Gary I think) and all was good again. If you cut the wires just before it goes into the switch gear and crimp them there is just enough room inside the unit to pop them in it.
Old 07-01-20, 07:18 PM   #3
aesmith

Thanks, that's interesting. I didn't really think the clutch switch likely, as the only way I get the bike to start when it's in the mood is by switching off and back on. Not by repeatedly pulling the clutch, although I may well have been releasing it without thinking. Next time I'll try keeping the clutch pulled in and see if it starts after a few power off/on, and also some time try leaving it switched on and work the clutch a few time.

The clutch switch affects the ECU in normal running, as well as the starter, however it's possible I think to mod the wiring so the ECU thinks the clutch is permanently released, without it interrupting the starter circuit.

My other suspect at the moment is the side stand/flasher relay, more because it's easily accessible and I have a spare.
Old 07-01-20, 08:58 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

There are a couple of threads on forum where people have bypassed clutch switch because of faulty switch and had problems with engine cutting out when slowing down, they had to get another switch fitted and back in circuit to cure the cutting out, clutch switch is connected to ECU and plays a more important purpose than just stopping engine starting if in gear.. will try and find threads and post a link.

Found it - there is a link to thread in this forum and also one to svrider.com ( USA SV sight ) - quote from svrider site

'The clutch switch is used to enrich the fuel mixture a little when the engine is decelerating (which is normally a high vacuum condition with the engine
speed high and the throttle closed) with the clutch pulled in. Otherwise, it can stall.
If you bypassed the clutch switch, the ECU won't know you pulled the
clutch in and let off the throttle, so the engine rotational speed will fall faster than ideal and can stall'.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229604

https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253762

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 07-01-20 at 09:31 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 07:45 AM   #5
shiftin_gear98

Two peneth : Mine made no difference at all the the running of the bike when it was removed.

Caveat - As far as I could tell. It didn't stall, even I would have noticed that.
Old 08-01-20, 08:53 AM   #6
daktulos

Having a curvy, it makes no difference to me, but I do remember a video posted the last time this was discussed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qnGJihHvM

(As an aside, if it was the clutch switch which was faulty, wouldn't the lights stay on?)
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 09:43 AM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Having a curvy, it makes no difference to me, but I do remember a video posted the last time this was discussed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qnGJihHvM

(As an aside, if it was the clutch switch which was faulty, wouldn't the lights stay on?)
Great video, just shows that with modern electronics it is not just a case of shorting things out as it can have a knock-on effect.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 01:29 PM   #8
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
The lights are switched off directly by a second normally closed contact on the starter button. So they switch off any time that button is pressed, irrespective of any interlock on the starter circuit. This wasn't shown on the older circuit diagrams so had me confused with my K6 when I had alarm problems, because I thought it showed that "something" was still alive within the starter circuit.
Old 13-01-20, 09:23 AM   #9
aesmith

Well this isn't going according to plan, although not necessarily a disaster. I couldn't get it to fail at all at the weekend, so was not able to do any troubleshooting. Looking back there were a few days in the week when it started first time, but more so towards the end. On Friday it needed two goes in the morning, then started first time on the way home and first time at the petrol station.

Also reading the circuit diagram properly my idea about the sidestand relay is in fact nonsense. Flipping the run switch off/on would affect that relay, and in fact if the relay wasn't close the FI wouldn't be enabled. So it can't be that.

I think the only bits that affect the starter but not the ECU are the starter button, the starter relay, the clutch switch and the starter itself.

So maybe that clutch switch was the culprit all along.
Old 13-01-20, 12:30 PM   #10
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Clutch switch is cheap and easy to replace so maybe it's worth doing that. You should be able to test the existing one with a multimeter, but the easiest way to do that is with it off the bike. If you removed the old one to do that, you may as well just fit a new one.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote