SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-12-20, 09:23 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Another Millyard Miracle

What do you do if you have a few pieces left over from older Kawasaki triples projects including a broken crankcase?

I'd have probably called the scrap metal dealer but I'm not Millyard.

He welds the broken pieces and "just like that" ends up with a superb Kawasaki 500 (530cc) twin cylinder two stroke.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/45984...i-s3-500-twin/

I know it has brand new pistons and a rebore but the lack of piston slap is impressive (speaking as an ex aircooled-Yamaha-2 stroke owner).
Old 12-12-20, 10:15 AM   #2
redtrummy

Default Re: Another Millyard Miracle

His Y tube subscriptions are on the rise. Not hard to see why!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48UL3i6SHJQ
An interview and tour around his garage. But the interviewer keeps putting in . (But still worth a look)

His MTB build is worth a look as well - well all his vids are worth a look!

Sad that I actually get excited when he posts a new vid up.

He apparently appears on the Motorbike Show on TV - but I just cannot warm to Howard Coles presentation style so do not watch it

Last edited by redtrummy; 12-12-20 at 02:25 PM.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 11:48 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
He apparently appears on the Motorbike Show on TV - but I just cannot warm to Howard Coles presentation style so do not watch it
It's Henry Coles but I have the same problem, in fact I mute the tv and put subtitles on. His constant uses of "hey" and "man" are annoying.

They had Alan's 6 cylinder Kawasaki "Z1" on last week's show. What always impresses me is the way they always look like stock bikes - just with extra cylinders (or, in this case, one less).
Old 12-12-20, 02:05 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I know it has brand new pistons and a rebore but the lack of piston slap is impressive (speaking as an ex aircooled-Yamaha-2 stroke owner).
Speaking as an ex aircooled Suzi stroker owner, the Kawa's piston slap and fin ringing is quite audible

But in fairness, the H2 triples were always mechanically noisy: big pistons, big ports and relatively large clearances. Even freshly-rebuilt ones sound like a tin box of nuts & bolts being shaken.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 04:31 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Speaking as an ex aircooled Suzi stroker owner, the Kawa's piston slap and fin ringing is quite audible
you Suzi 2 stroke owners with your fancy, longer pistons... we Yam owners knew that when it went quiet...

...it had seized
Old 12-12-20, 04:59 PM   #6
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
you Suzi 2 stroke owners with your fancy, longer pistons... we Yam owners knew that when it went quiet...

...it had seized

In 2005, my GT380's motor was getting a little tired, so I bought a job lot of 9 (yes, nine) spare barrels & pistons for my GT380 from a bloke on the Suzuki forums who had loads of spares, for £35.

After discarding the barrels with obviously worn / scored bores there were 6 good usable ones, so I carefully measured and matched pistons to barrels and ended up with a set of 3 that were all nicely in the middle of the clearance range.

A set of genuine NOS rings for a tenner and genuine Suzi head gaskets for another tenner from eBay, new little end bearings etc and I had a nicely refreshed top end for £20 per cylinder. It purred after that, and ran so sweetly.

Unfortunately, the days of picking up job lots of good used parts and cheap NOS bits are now LONG gone.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 07:30 PM   #7
gadget

Always amazed at what he does, majorly clever bloke.
I had a KH400 back in the day when all my mates plumped for the RD400 as their weapons of choice, imo the RD was far better engineered but I wouldn't have changed my KH for the world at the time, when I managed to save enough money to buy expansions for it I fitted them instantly and then rode it back to the dealer to have it tuned n set up properly, it sounded so awesome , I never got tired of those smoking crackling pipes even when left behind by the RD's. Eventually I sold it to help fund a brand new Suzuki Katana in 83 I think.!
Wish I'd never sold it now! Actually ... I wish I hadn't sold any of my 70's/80's bikes.

Last edited by gadget; 12-12-20 at 07:34 PM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote