SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-01-21, 07:33 AM   #21
ethariel

Default Re: Vegetarians....

Well 2 weeks into a meat free diet (and avoiding the majority of non meat animal based products as well), still plugging away, and I could murder for a bacon roll right now but that's life

Stomach settling down a bit more after a turbulent first 2 weeks that necessitated an open window 24/7.

What have I capitulated on so far? Red top milk is in, soy, almond and Oat milk is down the sink, that's just a NO.

Though I'm not doing this for an 'Animal Rights' point of view, just a lifestyle change to see if it makes a difference, hell I'll never stop wearing leather so no point being a hypocrite about it,
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 03:09 PM   #22
Bibio
Mega Poster

keep it up.. it does work.

for a test i made some BI frozen cod in batter with chips and tinned peas last night for my dinner. i'm still ill.. never ever again. i dont eat pre packaged foods so it was a real test of just how bad these things are. when i say i felt ill i mean really bad indigestion and i thought i was having a heart attack.

how people can live on that stuff i dont know. all i can say is if you do then learn to cook.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 05:45 PM   #23
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
Well 2 weeks into a meat free diet (and avoiding the majority of non meat animal based products as well), still plugging away, and I could murder for a bacon roll right now but that's life

Stomach settling down a bit more after a turbulent first 2 weeks that necessitated an open window 24/7.

What have I capitulated on so far? Red top milk is in, soy, almond and Oat milk is down the sink, that's just a NO.

Though I'm not doing this for an 'Animal Rights' point of view, just a lifestyle change to see if it makes a difference, hell I'll never stop wearing leather so no point being a hypocrite about it,
We do what we feel able to do. I'm pretty strictly vegan in the dietary sense but like you, I still wear leather. Partly this is because I can't decide which is worse - wearing animal skin or polluting the planet with microfibres and plastic particulates from man made, synthetic materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
keep it up.. it does work.

for a test i made some BI frozen cod in batter with chips and tinned peas last night for my dinner. i'm still ill.. never ever again. i dont eat pre packaged foods so it was a real test of just how bad these things are. when i say i felt ill i mean really bad indigestion and i thought i was having a heart attack.

how people can live on that stuff i dont know. all i can say is if you do then learn to cook.
I'm seriously impressed with both of you over this. Making the change to a more plant based diet is a hard thing to do when it's done quickly, so huge kudos to you for sticking with it.

I sort of drifted into it. Back in the eighties I reared, killed and butchered my own meat for quite a few years until I got fed up with the business of killing. I then ate just what meat my lurcher caught for me, so rabbit, pheasant, squirrel, and hare. When she got to old and her eyesight too poor to catch stuff, I stopped eating it, and became veggie around the mid nineties. Four years ago I made the final step and became vegan, an easy step from vegetarianism. Now, in my mid sixties, I'm probably fitter and healthier than at any time I can remember (but then I have trouble remembering what I had for dinner yesterday ).
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 10:53 PM   #24
Bibio
Mega Poster

its not been that hard to change. i have always eaten veg (yes i really am a scotsman) as i was brought up to 'clear yer plate', only trouble is my mother turned vegetables into mush (no taste) and i hated them. i learnt to cook quickly and discovered that veg are great cooked properly. i have also been a catch'n'cook but not to the extremes of gary.

what i'm having difficulty with is substituting meat products like mince as i have always associated veg as a 'side portion'. i really should look more on the bbc cooking site for more veg inspired dishes.

at the moment i'm trying to loose weight and get fitter so sticking to soup. but when i'm at somewhere i like then i'll get more adventurous.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-21, 11:18 AM   #25
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Partly this is because I can't decide which is worse - wearing animal skin or polluting the planet with microfibres and plastic particulates from man made, synthetic materials.
Let me help you with that. It is always this:-

Quote:
polluting the planet with microfibres and plastic particulates from man made, synthetic materials.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-21, 12:21 PM   #26
ethariel

I have done my fair share of hunting over the years from about the age of 13 to 18, starting on rabbits and finishing on deer (never ever look a 14 point stag in the eye - always wondered why my Uncle was happy to track but not to pull the trigger any more, I found out the same way he did).

Going vegetarian was a spur of the moment decision, no planning (I had to empty my freezer into the back of a friends car last week, everything including a nurtured stock of haggis and square sausage was taken away - not because I didnt trust myself, but there was no point in wasting it, even frozen food does not last forever)

It's hard sometimes but I have to give it a good chance and see how i feel in the longrun

Some veg like cauliflower, broccoli and mushrooms are a no no, i have never ever liked the taste or the texture but otherwise I'm just managing to stirfry most everything else

I have a couple of boxes of ready to drink HUEL choc shakes (Vegan friendly and gluten free) to toss in when i feel the need for a snack or as I have been doing, drink down for breakfast (as bacon rolls are off the menu), keeping an eye on the rough calorie intake v's what I was doing with a 2-5kg a week meat habit.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-21, 12:45 PM   #27
embee
Mega Poster

I'm not strictly veggie but eat very little meat at all, usually only if invited to a friend's for dinner, maybe once a month (my bubble). My main weakness at home is the odd pepperoni pizza. I eat a lot of veg of all colours, and equally salads and varied fruits and nuts. It really is good for us to eat a lot of veg, it's what our digestive systems are primarily suited to.
We survive because of the bacteria inside our guts, and so many folk have a depleted or very restricted range of bacteria, and taking antibiotics is a disaster for your friends inside you. The bacteria do a lot of the heavy work in converting foodstuffs into useful things, and they thrive on plant matter usually.
I'm certainly not an obsessive about diet, just make sure I get a balanced mix with the essentials and lots of varied plants and fibre.
A friend who is a lot more critical than I am about organics etc did introduce me to the subject of the combination of vitamin D and K2 (read about it), and I do use cod liver oil (+ vit D) capsules, and K2 comes from fermented veg (sauerkraut etc) or cheese, or your bacteria make it inside you.
I checked the label on some Tesco bran flakes the other day, and they have an awful lot of the necessary odds and ends, admittedly quite a few are as fortifications but they are in there.
Bowel cancer is a big problem in our society for fairly clear reasons.
Old 15-01-21, 02:39 PM   #28
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Let me help you with that. It is always this:-

Quote:
We do what we feel able to do. I'm pretty strictly vegan in the dietary sense but like you, I still wear leather. Partly this is because I can't decide which is worse - wearing animal skin or polluting the planet with microfibres and plastic particulates from man made, synthetic materials.
I think you’re right Mike, but I still struggle with the conflict.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote