SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-12, 12:34 AM   #1
todsky426

Default Luggage rack for Pointy?

Hi guys bought a luggage rack just before xmas, im planning a trip up scotland, i have a tank bag and panniers they work great but the rentec rack has only 2 mounting points both under the seat side by side this provides no support at all if you push down lightly on the back of it the thing bends, it will no way hold my tent and a tail pack, rentec must know these are weak, it came with a note that said max load 2.5kg :S!!! Has anyone had any experience with these and/or come up with a solution, i dont mind at all chopping it up and modifying it, just would rather hear an idea thats worked first.
Old 10-01-12, 12:53 PM   #2
Stephen McG

Default Re: luggage rack

I have a renntec rack and topbox fitted to my Gladius - I would have no worries in fully loading a big topbox.
Over the years I have carried laptops etc in topbox.
The first time I fitted a renntec rack to a bike was in late 90's (to an ER5)
As 'belt and braces' I put a couple of cable ties between rear pillion grab rail and rack.
This stopped any movement if pillion leaned back.
I have always ignored the weight limit and you will get to know when you are 'pushing it'
What bike to you have?

Stephen McG in Glasgow
Old 10-01-12, 06:30 PM   #3
todsky426

Default Re: luggage rack

its a k9 SV650S, yeah good idea that would work on most bikes but on mine the rack mounting point is where the grab rail is so to fit the rack you have to replace the grab rail
Old 11-01-12, 01:35 PM   #4
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Default Re: Luggage rack for Pointy?

I've got one I occasionally use when I'm taking the missus on the back (normally have a hard topbox that takes up the rear seat).

I've had a load of waterproof gear bungee netted onto on, and then the missus resting most of the weight of a 40L rucksack on it rather than on her shoulders, which was rammed full of a huge tent, plus clothes, spare gloves, booze, etc...
While not all the weight of it will have been taken by the rack, a fair bit of it will have been, so they can take some stick.
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-12, 07:51 PM   #5
todsky426

thats the plan tbh taking a tent and other items, i think i should do a trial run with my camping gear
Old 12-01-12, 03:23 AM   #6
Steph1972

Hi,

I am looking to buying one of those racks, do you have a picture of it fitted?

I am curious now of what kind of weight it will take.. Is yours a Renntec or are there any other racks out there?

Cheers ..
Old 12-01-12, 12:54 PM   #7
davepreston

ive loaded my rentec with camping gear and clothes for 2 people for a weekend without issue
tent ,dossbags and other nessesary equipment
Old 12-01-12, 03:45 PM   #8
Sally

It can take alot.. Haha

Will try and find a picture of it fitted later.
Old 12-01-12, 07:09 PM   #9
Steph1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post

It can take alot.. Haha

Will try and find a picture of it fitted later.
HaHa, looking good, I would also need to fit the girlfriend on, geez..
Old 12-01-12, 10:44 PM   #10
todsky426

ahh excellent picture, but i was just going to say that too i'll be carrying the girlfriend too so really need to suss this flimsy rack out