SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-12-08, 12:27 PM   #1
Baz

Default Still losing power?

Hi all

Some may remember a few weeks back I was having trouble with the bike losing power and cutting out.
Now at the time the general consensus was carb icing.
After lots of playing around with seized screws I managed to strip down the carbs, give them a clean up get new spark plugs in and away I went.
Thing is the bike is still acting up.
When I first go to start it in the morning if I don't leave the choke open then the bike cuts out, when riding (choke closed now) the bike keeps losing power then getting it back again resulting in a sort of jumping motion.
After riding for a few miles this stops, but if I switch the bike off even for 10 mins the whole thing starts again.
I also had alot of difficulty doing a hill start the other day, had to hold the revs very high and hold the clutch just on the biting point to be able to pull away.
Is there a chance this is a fuel problem?
I may be talking bollards hear but I was wondering if the fuel was struggling to get to the front cylinder?
Any help much appreciated.
Old 17-12-08, 12:48 PM   #2
vardypeeps

Default Re: Still losing power???

Could be poop fuel (water in it) which keeps clogging your carbs? The only other thing that I could suggest is carb icing again. Seems strange that it stops doing it after 10mins or so? Both of the above problems do tend to disappear at higher revs as more fuel is flowing through.

Someone else might have a few more ideas.
Old 17-12-08, 01:47 PM   #3
ChrisCaveman

I was having the same issue with my old Bandit 400 a while back, before the SV.
Turned out the fuel tap was an absolute dog, so it's worth checking that, make sure it's all clean etc...

Hope that helps!

Chris

Ex: SV650 Naked in Pearl Nebular Black
ChrisCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-08, 02:07 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Check that the fuelling is right, no blockages and the carbs are set up properly too. No air leaks, hoses and the carb/airbox seated correctly.

I take it you have filled the tank up a few times since, if so this would not be down to contaminated fuel.
Old 17-12-08, 03:48 PM   #5
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Check that the fuelling is right, no blockages and the carbs are set up properly too. No air leaks, hoses and the carb/airbox seated correctly.

I take it you have filled the tank up a few times since, if so this would not be down to contaminated fuel.

Yea changed fuel a few times, air box did give me some problems getting it seated onto the back carb but got it eventualy.
As for fuelling being correct? How do I check that?
I take it by "carbs are set up properly" you mean balance them? Or something else?
Old 17-12-08, 06:30 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Aye, sorry, I do mean balance the carbs and double check you have a suitable jets.

Just double check the front plug first, is it sparking as good as the rear and there is no sign of moisture in the cap. Clean out the drainage hole and replace cap, smear some silicone sealant around the shoulder (that'll stop water getting in).

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 17-12-08 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Picture Added
Old 17-12-08, 11:26 PM   #7
Baz

Quote:
Aye, sorry, I do mean balance the carbs and double check you have a suitable jets.
Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Old 18-12-08, 08:37 AM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Still losing power?

Thats small hole runs up to the spark plug, when this is blocked water which m,ay have built up can not drain away causing the plug not to fire. Spray some WD40 up there, use the plastic piece of tube it comes with to check for a blockage.
Old 18-12-08, 10:21 AM   #9
Baz

Quote:
Thats small hole runs up to the spark plug, when this is blocked water which m,ay have built up can not drain away causing the plug not to fire. Spray some WD40 up there, use the plastic piece of tube it comes with to check for a blockage.
Is that the small one underneath the cylinder?
Old 18-12-08, 10:28 AM   #10
Dangerous Dave

See attached image...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59.jpg (117.7 KB, 2 views)