SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-12-10, 01:39 PM   #1
stew

Default curvy wont start.

Hi all

went to the garage to start the old sv.
not been out for a month or so. so got a bit of time to myself so thought ill get the bike out out start her up and might pop off for a short ride as there is no snow, ice ect on the road.

put the key in and nothing. no optimate as no electric.

took the seat of put a jumper on the battery and still nothing.

when i say nothing thats not true.
it turns over but just dosnt seem to catch gave up in the end and came in.

any idears?
Old 31-12-10, 01:50 PM   #2
NedSVS

Default Re: curvy wont start.

When they have been stood for a long while it will take quite a lot more cranking over to start, as most of the petrol in the carbs will have evaporated off. So it takes quite a bit of cranking over for the fuel pump, which is operated by engine vacuum, to fill the carbs.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-10, 02:00 PM   #3
stew

ill have to try again tomorrow.
is there anything i can do to help it allong. like a spray start or filling up the carbs with fuel ect.
nice little job for the new year.

Last edited by stew; 31-12-10 at 02:03 PM.
Old 31-12-10, 02:32 PM   #4
B1k3R

Quick start down the airbox. I would persevere with the jump start. No choke full throttle and let it crank for 10 seconds, then no throttle full choke and crank for 10 sec bursts until it starts. Don't crank for more than 10 secs at a time.
Old 31-12-10, 02:50 PM   #5
stew

10 seconds seems like a long time.

ill give it a go tomorrow when the new years hangover has subsided.
Old 31-12-10, 02:56 PM   #6
toxic

water in fuel?

if you left the tank half empty they condensation build up may have contaminated the petrol.

i'd drain the carb bowls and add some wynn's dry fuel to the tank just in case, maybe top the tank up too.
Old 31-12-10, 04:01 PM   #7
Jordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic View Post
water in fuel?

if you left the tank half empty they condensation build up may have contaminated the petrol.

i'd drain the carb bowls and add some wynn's dry fuel to the tank just in case, maybe top the tank up too.
Oh dear... Probably got this to look forward to when I start mine up then, its been sat with a half full tank for a few months now.

Is it best to hibernate the bike with a full tank or empty? I've heard mixed answers from friends.

Thanks.
Old 31-12-10, 04:08 PM   #8
toxic

i fill mine, some people prefer empty tank and drained carbs, for long term storage. my thinking is a full tank has less space for condensation to build up.

i usually fill my bike when i return from a ride anyway, a full tank means a quicker getaway!
Old 03-01-11, 01:12 PM   #9
fenjer

I went out to mine today, took the cover off and there is water and condensation running all over the bike.

I've left the cover off to let it dry off a bit - haha - just hoping that it hasn't done any damage to the bike... My battery is already dead and in need of being replaced, I'll be really peeved if there's anything else wrong.

Need to try and get a lot of biking miles in this year...
Old 03-01-11, 01:40 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't when they've been stood.
I have a curvy that has 'issues', and has decided not to start anymore...and I have a curvy thats been stood for 12 months that with a bit of persuasion will start with a cough, have to tickle her a bit, but I bet if I went out there now she'd come to life.

Charge up the battery, get a thimble of fuel in those carbs, and try her. It'll be a simple thing.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote