SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-11-13, 02:38 PM   #1
reidy

Default idle speed - choke off and on

hi guys, my 2000 curvy since i bought it in august seemed to have a low idle (around 950-1000rpm) so ive just decided to adjust the idle screw, it now idles around 1100-1200rpm (it sounds alot healthier) however with the choke on full it now does 4500rpm, is that ok or is it too high ?

I have a video to illustrate it if that helps?

cheers in advance

Ben.
Old 14-11-13, 03:06 PM   #2
reidy

Default idle speed - choke off and on

hi guys, my 2000 curvy since i bought it in august seemed to have a low idle (around 950-1000rpm) so ive just decided to adjust the idle screw, it now idles around 1100-1200rpm (it sounds alot healthier) however with the choke on full it now does 4500rpm, is that ok or is it too high ?

I have a video to illustrate it if that helps?

cheers in advance

ben.

Last edited by reidy; 14-11-13 at 03:08 PM. Reason: video link doesn't work!
Old 14-11-13, 03:46 PM   #3
NedSVS

Default Re: idle speed - choke off and on

In this cold weather start the bike on full choke then close it slightly so it holds about 2500 RPM. As it warms this will increase so you will have to close it a little more until it is warm enough to close it and ride off.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-13, 03:57 PM   #4
reidy

thanks for the reply but do you think 4500rpm on full choke is to high or is that correct ?
Old 14-11-13, 04:00 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

I wouldn't be happy with that rpm on a cold engine what Ned said is about right
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-13, 04:21 PM   #6
reidy

sorry guys I may not be phrasing it properly, before it only revved to 3000rpm when on full choke now it revs to 4,500rpm on full choke, what I ment was is that normal full choke at 4500 ? I know you wouldnt warm it up at that rpm but is 4500 rpm normally what it would sit at on full choke ? cheers again guys.
Old 14-11-13, 04:52 PM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

No, don't think 4500 is normal, others may disagree or have different experience
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-13, 05:58 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

I'm not sure it's anything to worry about.

The "chokes" are actually more accurately described as "auxiliary starting carburettors", i.e. they don't do anything to the normal carb bore like a true "choke flap" does, they are an additional passage, running in parallel to the main carb, which has it's own air/fuel metering and mixing arrangement. Thus when the choke is operated it will add air and fuel according to how far open you have the lever.

Normal hot idle for the curvey is 1300rpm, some prefer slightly higher say 1400 to improve driveability etc.

Bear in mind it isn't really cold yet, when it gets really cold the oil is thick and the engine needs quite a lot more mixture to be able to overcome the extra friction, thus you would expect "full choke" to be more than that required for just "cool" conditions.

As others say, to start from properly cold, apply full choke and don't touch the throttle, press the button and as soon as it starts begin to gradually close down the choke until it idles reasonably evenly at something like 2500rpm. Don't leave it running on choke to warm up, 20-30sec is fine usually, then just get on and ride away gently, and close the choke off fully as soon as you can, shouldn't need any for more than a couple of hundred yards or so. The idle will probably be a bit low until it's properly warmed up, but if set to 1300-1400rpm hot it should be OK during the warm-up.
Old 14-11-13, 07:39 PM   #9
NedSVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
thanks for the reply but do you think 4500rpm on full choke is to high or is that correct ?

No I don't think that is excessively high - my 2001 model will hit something like that if I leave the choke on full for too long. Just adjust it to keep the revs around 2500 RPM or less.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-13, 09:12 PM   #10
reidy

thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate. it