SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-01-06, 12:38 AM   #1
rob13

Default Sheds/Garages

sort of a connection to the house prices thread

A lot of houses ive looked at lack a garage. One of my priorities was to have a garage however, i'm quite taken with a couple of houses which lack garages. Being a first time buyer, i dont have a great deal of spare cash which will be left over after fees etc so im looking at options if i did move to one of these houses.

It needs to store the bike, garden stuff and a few tools.

Ive seen some 10x10 sheds with double doors but unsure of the security - the doors have external hinges.

Garage is a more expensive but permanent option and will require planning permission.

What alternatives does everyone have?
Old 30-01-06, 12:42 AM   #2
hall13uk

i have seen like metal bike storage units, they have a pull draw bit which you park your bike on then you slide the bike in (just like a desk) . they come in different sizes & mostly insurance approved.
Old 30-01-06, 07:46 AM   #3

im not sure of where you live, but does having a garage clause make that much of a differenct to your policy?

Due to the other daft restrictions the garage clause imposes, i decided not to have it, so i could put up any sort of shed.. i bought a 10x13 metal shed for 400£ and the whole thing cost about £500 to put up.. it was cheap anc cheerful but kept it all dry... i even ran electric to it.... it was great!

i will proably do the same thing again when i move and if i can still afford a bike that is...

hope that helps a little..

Alex
Old 30-01-06, 08:42 AM   #4
Last Action Pimp

i think it cost me £30 extra for me not ro garage my 125
Old 30-01-06, 07:15 PM   #5
rigor

Couple of guys I used to work with had a similar problem, they lived in a flat and need somewhere to store their bikes. Ended up renting another guy at works parents (You following this :P) garage, which was only full of junk. Not sure how much they ended up paying, but asking mates etc. may be a good idea.
Old 30-01-06, 07:27 PM   #6
kjames

you won't need planning permission for a timber garage / shed. its counted as a temporary structure... although not sure what would happen if you took the pi$$ and filled your entire garden with some kind of timber hanger.

i've been looking at this company that do garages and workshops.

http://www.tgbuildings.co.uk/acatalog/Workshop.html

k
Old 30-01-06, 07:28 PM   #7
Saint Matt

No way would I trust my bike in a timber garage!
Old 30-01-06, 07:52 PM   #8
kjames

it really depends where you live and how visible it is.. mine would be at the bottom of my garden and well away from prying eyes, so wouldnt be too worried. besides the concrete ones are a bit

I used to have a really old refab garage in Hull and the local scumbags used to just 'peel' the metal off the door. personally i reckon a good strong timber door is as good as a steel door.. my house door is timber after all.

karl
Old 30-01-06, 08:19 PM   #9
Toypop

I have to make do with a bike barn as my old mans many bikes are filling the sheds.

Another shed large enough to get a bike in and out would be pricey. I had looked at those metal bike shelter things but opted for a bike barn in the end as the metal sheds still looked a bit tight for getting off the bike once you had got in etc.

The barn was easy to put up, easy to take with you when you move house and easier to get the bike in and out of than a shed. Downside is a bit more condensation than a shed but I don't see as it is any less safe than a shed which can be broken into dead easy.

With a ground anchor and a decent chain I don't think there is a problem especially as my barn is out of sight behind a fence - although I don't class it as garaged on the insurance.

You can then get a far smaller and cheaper shed for garden tools.
Old 30-01-06, 10:42 PM   #10
Gnan

i purchased my 10x10 concrete prefab from a company called NuCrete.. they are very helpful and can construct anything to your specification (in my case with two swing doors rather than an up and over).. the prices are very reasonable. approximately £1000 for everything including the foundations, installation and delivery (note you will need a builder for the foundations or do it yourself)

as far as planning goes i submitted a pre-planning form to the council.. they told me that it is very unlikely that i will need full planning permission due to the small size