SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-08-07, 09:55 AM   #1
ricky_t

Default Gear Changing Problem

Hi, all

I am new to this site so i am not sure if i am asking in the right place.

The problem:
When i ride slowly and change up gear at slow speeds or constants speeds, the gear change is hard and somewhat clunky. However, at higher speeds and accelating the gear change is light and precise.

I am used to my cbr125r gear change when you can change when you want so i am not sure if this is the bike or just me once again!
Old 08-08-07, 09:59 AM   #2
petevtwin650

Default Re: Gear Changing Problem

Firstly Ricky, welcome to the site.

It would help if you post what bike it is as not all bikes on here are Sv's. And also the year.

Possibly your clutch cable needs adjusting. If it's not, that the gear lever pivot shaft may need greasing. Or the chain is too tight/too loose. Or your changing up at too low revs.
Old 08-08-07, 10:02 AM   #3
plowsie

Its a 2000 if i remember quite rightly Pete, he was talking about the exhaust noise the other day. Amrick (i think your name was) i have just greased the pivot point on mine and solved all the problems you were having, try that firstly, if that doesnt work then go by what Pete says and adjust clutch cable.
Old 08-08-07, 11:44 AM   #4
ricky_t

Good memory plowsie and yep my name is Amrick Thomas. Yep it is a curvy with full fairings. 2000 on a V plate. I think it maybe i am changing up at too low revs since this only happens around town at around 3000 rpm. When out on the twisties i change around 6-9K rpm instead and the problem does not occur.

I need to learn how to check chains; I'll have a browse round the site for chain adjustment info.
Old 08-08-07, 11:49 AM   #5
plowsie

Should still be able to change up how ever many revvs you are giving her, someone technical will be along in a second for you mate i promise
Old 08-08-07, 04:24 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

I get this problem when the bike is cold. Once its warm, its better.

Top Tip - put a little pressure on the gear lever befre you change up, and as you dip the clutch in and apply a litle more pressure, the gear slips up nicley.

Matt
Old 08-08-07, 04:41 PM   #7
rob13

I would say it sounds like a clutch that needs adjusting - did mine the other day and feels like new again. Remove the cover and inspect it see if it needs adjusting