SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-10, 08:44 PM   #1
AndyBrad

Default ruined my bike :(

ok so i've had an issue with the trumpet with the breather seal going. this basically let oil into the airbox and down the side of the engine. so i took the tank off (no tank prop like the sv) and after attempts to syphon the petrol out (nearly finishing myself off in the process) i decided to store it upside down in the cellar.

soo 2 days later im popping it back together and pop the tank back on the bike. unfortunatly its leaked petrol all round the filler cap and down the tank. and even worse than that its stripped the paint!! what a fecking cockup!

so lesson learned. however any tips on how to sort it. or any very good sprayers in our area would be appreciated.

a very unhappy andy
Old 15-04-10, 08:48 PM   #2
barwel1992

Default Re: ruined my bike :(

ohh dear ....... did you not think about removing the fuel pump to get the fuel out ? that what i did on my yamaha, then just left it on a bucket

and to sort it well respray or get another tank off flee bay

cost me £100 for a tank respray in matt black on the yamaha (had come off the bike and tank was scraped)
Old 15-04-10, 08:56 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

ahhhh **** Andy. Bad

You could give Burrwood Garage a ring on Pellon Lane. I know they used to have someone who did bike panel repairs and resprays as well as cars.
If they don't I think my mate Pat could point you in the right direction, being a custom bike builder he has his contacts, but it may be a few days as I'm at work all weekend. He used to point people in the direction of Burrwood.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 15-04-10 at 08:58 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-10, 08:57 PM   #4
Owenski

Andy mate, that is worthy of a hand on the shoulder while we both face the floor an shake out heads.
Either that or a pint while we all poke fun at you.

Seriously thoug mate there is a body shop in the same industrial estate where paul has his printing shop. P and L body care I think its called. Ask paul if he can have a word for some sort of discount.
Old 15-04-10, 09:02 PM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
ok so i've had an issue with the trumpet with the breather seal going. this basically let oil into the airbox and down the side of the engine. so i took the tank off (no tank prop like the sv) and after attempts to syphon the petrol out (nearly finishing myself off in the process) i decided to store it upside down in the cellar.

soo 2 days later im popping it back together and pop the tank back on the bike. unfortunatly its leaked petrol all round the filler cap and down the tank. and even worse than that its stripped the paint!! what a fecking cockup!

so lesson learned. however any tips on how to sort it. or any very good sprayers in our area would be appreciated.

a very unhappy andy
you know the tank has quick release connectors that seal when you take the pipes off?
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-10, 09:14 PM   #6
AndyBrad

yea of course it does........ only they dont work!

yea matt. a propper oh fooket moment. not happy.
Old 15-04-10, 09:17 PM   #7
AndyBrad

oh and can anyone recomend a really nice tank pad?
Old 15-04-10, 09:24 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Bugger!
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-10, 09:36 PM   #9
Vindaloo

You'll probably find someone nearer, but I used http://www.theroadhouseleeds.co.uk/ on Troydale Lane in Pudsey for a bit of plastic welding and respraying of the lowers and they did a good job of matching the colour and the weld's invisible.

The guy there (Steve) is a bit more used to building custom stuff, but he's a top bloke.

Adrian
Vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-10, 09:39 PM   #10
davepreston

lift hand, bend backward begin slapping own head
hth