SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-06-16, 09:46 AM   #1
HJP1968

Default F3 internals in standard SV650 Forks

Hi
I have searched and searched and found lots about putting the F3 internals in SV forks but with the F3 Stanchions. For various reasons I don't want to do this, I know there is some machining work ahead of me and I like a challenge, has anyone done this and if so what pitfalls etc should I be aware of.
My thoughts so far are:
  • As my bike is a curvy need to sort out the bottom holding bolt mis-match (F3 is M8 mine is M10)
  • Damper rod adjuster will need cutting down (need to either take the tip off (ouch) or top off, shorten it and reattach)
  • Damper rod will need shortening and have a thread cut onto it

I think that's about it, unless I am missing something
Any help will be much appropriated and before anyone says, I have done this before using F3 stanchions and want to try it a different way this time
Also The F3 stanchions I have are scrap and the SV stanchions I have are really good!!!
Old 03-06-16, 08:06 AM   #2
IOWARACER

Default Re: F3 internals in standard SV650 Forks

I have all GSXR internals in my 2nd gen stock fork tubes. I didn't do the conversion but I can't imagine it's too hard. www.twfracing.com might have a bit more info on this. Didn't know if you were stuck on using the F3's or not. Didn't know if you knew about the GSXR internal swap.
Old 03-06-16, 12:06 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I thought you needed to use the F3 stanchions for the top cap threads
Old 03-06-16, 04:01 PM   #4
IOWARACER

Not sure on that one. I sent my stock forks in and it looks like the ones I got back are the ones I gave him. Maybe he switched them out for F3's.
Old 03-06-16, 08:22 PM   #5
HJP1968

Top cap fits fine, the only reason you use F3 Stanchions is because of the longer internal fittings won't fit in the normal SV stanchions
Not sure about the GSXR internals, as you won't be able to adjust the compression damping as there won't be an adjuster screw on the bottom of the leg. With the F3 units they are designed from the get go to not have compression damping, not sure if it is fixed or changes in a ratio to the rebound adjustment
Old 04-06-16, 09:23 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The rebound bleed doesn't affect the comp bleed on those, the comp bleed is effectively fixed and there are a few ways of doing it... as standard they have ports cut into the shim sealing surface of the comp piston